• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eye Abscess - Please help :( - UD - It was improving but now its got worse :( - EC?

Jenefina

Mama Doe
My poor Pyeman has an abscess in his eye :cry: just to add to all the rest of his problems :cry: the vet has given me baytril to give twice daily and a gel called Gentamicin to put in his eye three times a day.

I can't believe this is happening to him. It's in the eye where he already had a white mark (FHB thinks he may have had EC at some point) and so I think I missed the beginnings of it, I just noticed his eye was wet tonight and rushed him to the vets :cry: I don't know what to do, do they normally clear up? Is there anything else I can do?? I feel so terrible :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:
Panicking now about this gel stuff for his eyes as everything I've just read does not sound good, does anyone have any experience of using this? I'm supposed to put it in again tonight and I'm now making myself feel ill with worry :cry::cry:

Is the abscess behind the eye on on/in the eye?

I am sure gentamycin is tyacil which is a very common eye drop for rabbits :)

It looks like its on the front of the eye, it was a fill in vet and she wasn't too fab at explaining what was happening but I think its come from an injury as she asked if he had a friend and if they fought at all... They do get grumpy with each other when food is involved so I guess its possible madam could've swiped at him :?

Edit: She said there seemed to be a lot of blood vessels going into it so the eye was trying to heal itself??

It looks like its on the front of the eye, it was a fill in vet and she wasn't too fab at explaining what was happening but I think its come from an injury as she asked if he had a friend and if they fought at all... They do get grumpy with each other when food is involved so I guess its possible madam could've swiped at him :?

Edit: She said there seemed to be a lot of blood vessels going into it so the eye was trying to heal itself??

Yes this is probably correct, I have seen this happen many times with eye injuries. The eye develops extra blood vessels when it is injured to encourage a larger blood supply to promote healing :)

I have only had one bunny with an abscess to the front of the eye, which was ( we think) due to injury. By the time he reached us it had not been treated properly and was badly infected so removal was the only option. It took quite some time for the infection to clear afterwards as well. we used a combination of baytril and septrin which finally did the trick. The situation is different for you as you have spotted it early so hopefully it will be much easier to treat :)

Thanks Liz, really hope I have caught it early enough, feel terrible for not noticing it earlier. I've just looked up Tiacil and it says it contains Gentamicin so I gather that's ok to use in his eye? Just worried about him getting it in his mouth, everywhere keeps saying how toxic it is :(

No advice or anything but wanted to send good wishes for your boy, I hope the abscess can clear up quickly xx

Thanks Liz, really hope I have caught it early enough, feel terrible for not noticing it earlier. I've just looked up Tiacil and it says it contains Gentamicin so I gather that's ok to use in his eye? Just worried about him getting it in his mouth, everywhere keeps saying how toxic it is :(

I am sure it is fine, I have used tiacil many many times in eyes, and also in abscesses. I am sure you noticed it as soon as anything was obvious to see. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery x

Thank Liz, have to go back on Tuesday night to see how its healing, will be seeing my normal vet again so will hopefully get some good news then

Grim's had abscesses in his eyes. They healed pretty quickly but I caught them early. I was given drops and baytril. The eye goes a little cloudy while it heals. He's got scarring on his eye and eye lid on his right side but it's never seemed to bother him. Good luck.

Grim's had abscesses in his eyes. They healed pretty quickly but I caught them early. I was given drops and baytril. The eye goes a little cloudy while it heals. He's got scarring on his eye and eye lid on his right side but it's never seemed to bother him. Good luck.

Thank you for that, i'm really hoping i've caught it early enoug, she said doing the drops 3 times a day was quite aggressive but i'm back at work on tuesday so will only be able to do it twice unless I do a second at tea time and then again at like 11, not sure how spaced out the drops need to be, well gel stuff but stil:?

aww no :( poor little Pye, take it you didn't get to see Neil with him either :( sending him lots of vibes and noserubs, I don't really have any advice for you hun sorry :(

aww no :( poor little Pye, take it you didn't get to see Neil with him either :( sending him lots of vibes and noserubs, I don't really have any advice for you hun sorry :(

Stoopid man is on holiday so had to see his stand in :( she seemed ok but didn't feel right, got an appointment on tuesday night to see him.

party on sunday is obviously now off so you get out of bunny sitting!

Stoopid man is on holiday so had to see his stand in :( she seemed ok but didn't feel right, got an appointment on tuesday night to see him.

party on sunday is obviously now off so you get out of bunny sitting!

how rude of him :( typical that he would go on holiday when this happened.

Aww I was looking forward to being grunted at by your little moodies as well

Thank you for that, i'm really hoping i've caught it early enoug, she said doing the drops 3 times a day was quite aggressive but i'm back at work on tuesday so will only be able to do it twice unless I do a second at tea time and then again at like 11, not sure how spaced out the drops need to be, well gel stuff but stil:?

That's what I always do when I'm working. :wave:

how rude of him :( typical that he would go on holiday when this happened.

Aww I was looking forward to being grunted at by your little moodies as well

You can come round and help me with eye drops if you like, think he'll be so peeved at me by then I'll be getting grumps from both sides!!

Back