• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice Needed Unexpected babies

leighmaddi

New Kit
I need some advice i have had bluebell for nearly a year now wen i was given her i was told her and her sis was netured.so i recently got given a boy rabbit thinking everything would be ok but i went out to find wednesday morning to feed them both and i found seven babies she had built a nest .she must have had them early hour in the morning as she was running about in garden at around 10pm tuesday night,there was no sign of her being pregarent her weight didt really change,i have separted valintino (father) now into a different hutch well hes in a play pen at mo till i have a hutch and run for him!! and have left mum and babys in the other.i have been checking them there bellys are plumped and not wrinkly so iam taking it she feeding them,i have no clue wot to expect now or know what to do next i would be so grateful for any advice given to me.:p

Last edited:
sounds like your doing a good job :)
In the time the babies are being raised is a perfect time to get the boy neutered, as it takes over 4 weeks for him to no be able to get her pregnant again after his opp.
Other than that just keep up what you are doing, checking them if she is comfertable with it etc. I would also raise her food.
Im taking it that the mums sister isnt with her at the moment?

i have a litter 2 weeks old they are exploreing and leveing the nest for short
time so buy 3 weeks they will be hopping around and there nibbling pellets
you leve them with there mam till there 12 weeks iam takeing mine out at 8 weeks as shes had 2 litters in a row both of which werent planned
she sick of these already

sounds like your doing a good job :)
In the time the babies are being raised is a perfect time to get the boy neutered, as it takes over 4 weeks for him to no be able to get her pregnant again after his opp.
Other than that just keep up what you are doing, checking them if she is comfertable with it etc. I would also raise her food.
Im taking it that the mums sister isnt with her at the moment?

i have been given her more food than normal ,no i rehomed her as she was not good with children.should she be shut in her cage???ive been letting her run around the garden and leaving the bottom hutch door open and she been going iin there every now and then ,valintino is in his cage with a run so they can have only nose to nose contact. when should i sseparate them from bluebell? when will they start to walk about as at mo she made a nest form her fur in her bedding area upstairs worried they might fall down to lower part of the cage

Hi there, just to say that your doe could be pregnant again so just be aware :( Sounds like you're doing everything you can :)

Hi there, just to say that your doe could be pregnant again so just be aware :( Sounds like you're doing everything you can :)

OH never thought of that !!!!!!!!!

how can you tell the difference from a female /male when there babys any idea???can a brother get a sister pregant when there bigger?????????

i have a litter 2 weeks old they are exploreing and leveing the nest for short
time so buy 3 weeks they will be hopping around and there nibbling pellets
you leve them with there mam till there 12 weeks iam takeing mine out at 8 weeks as shes had 2 litters in a row both of which werent planned
she sick of these already

oh thank you ,well she could be pregant again not to sure

OH never thought of that !!!!!!!!!

how can you tell the difference from a female /male when there babys any idea???can a brother get a sister pregant when there bigger?????????

Yes you need to sex all the babies and separate the boys and the girls. Not sure of timing.. 12 weeks I think? Someone will know on here I am sure!

you will soon find out if shes sick of them in a few weeks muffy attacked
her 1st litter i separated them and out popped litter number 2 :(

separating the babies

I think it might be as soon as 3 weeks. Obviously it is too soon now, though, and you can't handle them now in case you put mum off them. I'm sure somebody expert will be along shortly who will know this stuff. I think if you MUSTtouch one now you have to handle the mum first so your hands smell of her not of you.

Lots of vibes.

If the male was with her when she gave birth than she is likely to be pregnant again as they mate as soon as the babies have been born.

Which will mean in a months time you may well find another litter.

I would get him neutered while they are separated as it takes 6 weeks for his tubes to become clear.

You will need to check every day that there is no dead ones in the nest and if so remove them. Make sure you have rubbed your hands in mum's toilet corner before doing this, gently part the fur and have a look, cover when your done.
Babies will stay to move around hutch at 2-3 weeks old.
Mum can go out to play as normal and you will find that she will only pop back to check on them very rarely.

Babies can be weaned at 8-10 weeks and can be sexed by your vet or local rescue at that time.They will then need separating in to same sex hutches by the time they are 12 weeks at the latest.

Are you going to be keeping the babies or finding homes for them.

Last edited:
Back