• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help! should i be worried? - diarrhoea - pics added u/d post 15 spoke too soon

Ok Dollys well on her way to being her old self, but brought Marley in out of the rain and his back end was comparable to that of a babys nappy.

He hasnt eaten anything different to what he would normally, i cant see anymore poos like this in the run, there may be a few squishy ones but ive never seen any of my buns with poos like this. Its possible he hasnt had as much hay as usual, hes been moping around because dolly isnt with him.

If you dont know possible causes, then how can i get him clean again, im terrified to put him out incase of fly strike.

The white fluffy stuff is just where the tissue has stuck.

poo2.jpg

poo3.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry I don't have any advice but didn't want to look and then not post.
I have never experienced anything like this with my buns, so hoping someone who knows will come along soon xx

Sorry I don't have any advice but didn't want to look and then not post.
I have never experienced anything like this with my buns, so hoping someone who knows will come along soon xx

Thanks for getting back,

I've got the thick of it off, but ive always been told not to bath rabbits. I wouldnt give him a full bath obviously, but i need to somehow clean his bottom properly so it doesnt smell and his hair doesnt get matted and things.

I dont know what to use though :?

Im at the vets tomorrow with my other bunny, i might have to make an extra appointment if it continues.

I don't know if this is something I read or not, but I think Cornflower is meant to be good for wet bottoms. I think you have to let the poo dry first before applying.

Hope it helps you a little xx

Just use warm water to clean him up. He will need to be 100% dry before going back outside.

Is he passing any normal fecal pellets ?

Is he eating and drinking ?

You could maybe sit him in half an inch of luke warm water with his front legs on one hand/wrist whilst you wash with the other hand? if he is happy to sit I think that should be fine, although if he goes mad wanting to jump out then maybe use both hands to sit him there for a few mins just to soak and wipe when his feet are on dry land. I would use something like a washing up bowl on the floor. The sink is a bit high up if they make a leap for it. Lola's were a bit like this after her spey, I decided she was sitting on her special poos and this was causing them to smear all over her bottom, and she took to taking the bedding out sitting on the wee soaked poos in her litter tray which made one big squishy smelly mess stuck to her.

Thanks blue vix and jane.

Im waiting for him to poo again so i can see what they are like. Hes eating fine and ive seen him drink. Not sure hes eating quite as much hay as usual though but i cant imagine that this would cause diarrhoea? Hes a bit mopey because his wifey is indoors after her spey and can only be with her when im pottering around to keep an eye on them.

hi there, sorry just seen this thread. when our old buns had sticky bottoms i found that a paint/roller tray (new and clean obviously!) was a very handy way of getting them clean - you sit their bottom in the deep part of the tray filled with water, with their front paws on the shallow bit, seemed to work quite well!

i hope marley is feeling much better now :bunny:

hi there, sorry just seen this thread. when our old buns had sticky bottoms i found that a paint/roller tray (new and clean obviously!) was a very handy way of getting them clean - you sit their bottom in the deep part of the tray filled with water, with their front paws on the shallow bit, seemed to work quite well!

i hope marley is feeling much better now :bunny:

Ooo i didnt think about that! We have loads of them too since dad puts them in the shed and forgets about them when theyve only been used once. :roll:

We managed in the sink though, he did have a couple of tantrums before he realised i wasnt going to drown him! :lol: hes fine now. The pair of them have made a big pooey mess in the back room...healthy poos too :) He was just missing his best friend after all! :love:

U/D Spoke too soon.

I guess i spoke too soon!

I found his hutch ... and his poor wifey in a mess this morning.

Im not sure what else to do if it doesnt stop by tomorrow. He is now in the run on the concrete and is allowed nothing but hay and water.

I think its helped, but hes still a little smelly. Ill see how he goes over night and will call the vet in the morning. Hes still happy to eat and drink, so im not too worried there, its just the fact that its been going on for 4 days now and i cant think for the life of me what could be upsetting his little tummy.

aw bless him, he definitely sounds out of sorts doesn't he, but it's good that he's eating and drinking OK. Hope the vet is able to find out what might be upsetting his little tum.

Back