• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bugs in fur - help!

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
I've just cut Smudge's nails and I've noticed lots of tiny, tiny, just about seeable, brown bits in his fur. I can just about make out that they are moving and now I'm panicking. What could it be?

I've had a look at Mischa's white patches and can't see anything with him. Am assuming Mini is ok too. Nutmeg has no white apart from her tum which I doubt she'll let me look at. Smudge's fur is a LOT thicker than the lops and Nutmeg's so I'm guessing it would be easier for him to pick stuff like this up.

Has anyone any ideas? I'm panicking that it's fleas. As an aside Smudge also has a bald patch on his neck. I was assuming that it was where he is indoors and has moulted from that area as he used to have a lot of long fur there, but now I'm wondering if that connected but the area shows no signs of flaky skin whatsoever and is usually not noticeable unless he bends down to clean or eat.

Last edited:
I'm no expert but probably mites of some description. They will all have to be treated though
Just one of those things, I'm sure they will be ok :D

Mine had treatment for mites (turned out to be a very odd moult:roll:) - they just got flea treatments - had to sign disclaimer as my vet uses stronghold which isn't licensed for buns but she thinks is the best thing.
quick and easy and cheap!
good luck:D

Ta JLG, that's reassuring!

Just checked the girls, nothing in their fur either. You can really feel the difference in the thickness of fur.

I was about to start a course of Panacur this evening. I'll leave that until I get in contact with the vets tomorrow.

How do they pick up lice? :shock:

Most rabbits naturally carry a few lice, but they tend to increase in numbers if the rabbit is stressed or ill in any way. They are really easy to miss unless you've got a very bad infestation.

BTW I've found that spot-on ivermectin is much better for treating lice than the injectable type.

Thanks, I feel very much reassured now. I guess maybe the stress of the bonding has caused them to multiply a bit. They don't seem to be irritating him but I'm definitely going to phone the vets tomorrow. He hasn't had much veg. this evening though. He tends to do this when he has the hump, he's had his pellets fine as usual so I'm not too concerned.

Back