• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best hay for dental prone pets

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
What is the best hay for animals that suffer dental probs? I currently feed a mix of farm and petshop hay

Depends..some meadow hay can be quite coarse and that would be good..the important thing it to make sure they eat a lot of it..so treating them to a variety or the more expensive ones can be good..oat hay or timothy hay always goes down well

also apple twigs to chew on..:D

The petshop stuff is meadow hay,The farm stuff i use is quite coarse,i do sometimes buy timothey and burns oat hay too,Yes my neighbour has an apple tree i might ask for some

Anything they chew a lot, so I guess that means longer stalks if possible, but generally whatever they will eat the most of :)

Lola has severe dental disease ; she has no lower right molars, this means her top molars have nothing to grind against and she eats on her left side only. My buns get A farm bale of meadow and burns green oat hay. Lola has not needed a dental with GA now since May; prior to this she needed one every 3 weeks :(. I tried timothy hay but my guys wouldn't touch it, burns green oat seems to be working wonders. :wave:

As dental buns tend to be quite fussy about eating hay, I would say that the best hay for them is whichever one you can get them to eat the most of! Santa was a nightmare for most hays but she would eat oat hay and fresh grass, so I spent most days out in the garden with the scissors trying to get enough into her :lol:

Depends..some meadow hay can be quite coarse and that would be good..the important thing it to make sure they eat a lot of it..so treating them to a variety or the more expensive ones can be good..oat hay or timothy hay always goes down well

also apple twigs to chew on..:D

;):D:lol:

Anyone need twigs - you know where to come ;)

Back