PDA

View Full Version : Best hay for dental prone pets

bluebunny
27-08-2010, 02:50 PM
What is the best hay for animals that suffer dental probs? I currently feed a mix of farm and petshop hay

honeybunny
27-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Depends..some meadow hay can be quite coarse and that would be good..the important thing it to make sure they eat a lot of it..so treating them to a variety or the more expensive ones can be good..oat hay or timothy hay always goes down well

also apple twigs to chew on..:D

bluebunny
27-08-2010, 03:23 PM
The petshop stuff is meadow hay,The farm stuff i use is quite coarse,i do sometimes buy timothey and burns oat hay too,Yes my neighbour has an apple tree i might ask for some

Stator
27-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Anything they chew a lot, so I guess that means longer stalks if possible, but generally whatever they will eat the most of :)

Jaysmonkey
27-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Lola has severe dental disease ; she has no lower right molars, this means her top molars have nothing to grind against and she eats on her left side only. My buns get A farm bale of meadow and burns green oat hay. Lola has not needed a dental with GA now since May; prior to this she needed one every 3 weeks :(. I tried timothy hay but my guys wouldn't touch it, burns green oat seems to be working wonders. :wave:

Santa
27-08-2010, 06:36 PM
As dental buns tend to be quite fussy about eating hay, I would say that the best hay for them is whichever one you can get them to eat the most of! Santa was a nightmare for most hays but she would eat oat hay and fresh grass, so I spent most days out in the garden with the scissors trying to get enough into her :lol:

Fluffers
27-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Depends..some meadow hay can be quite coarse and that would be good..the important thing it to make sure they eat a lot of it..so treating them to a variety or the more expensive ones can be good..oat hay or timothy hay always goes down well

also apple twigs to chew on..:D

;):D:lol:

Anyone need twigs - you know where to come ;)