• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Different coloures poos

Lottie999

Warren Scout
Hi all, hope you'll be able to help me.

Ive noticed recently that the size and colour of Poppy's poos have changed - they used to be the size of a frozen pea and a dark brown in colour - now they're the size of a marrowfat pea, sort of golden and dont look as dry. I have however been giving her more hay and less pellets (she's on burgess excel light), some herbs like corriander and mint (a couple of leaves a day) and she is drinking normally.

Should I be concerned, or is the colour change to do with her new diet? Thank you in advance :)

I don't mean to worry you, but I will tell you what it meant when my Saffy had this same change in her poo. She was on her way to GI stasis. That's when the problem with her cheek teeth was discovered. I got her into the vet's as soon as they opened in the morning and it was found that she had grown horrible spurs. They were restricting her ability to eat hay, so she was only eating pellets and the usual amount of veg her and her husbun shared. (I hadn't noticed as her husbun was eating plenty of hay so I was still putting more out all the time)
By that evening her poos were returning to their larger, golden poos of yore!

Small, dark poos can also be a sign of dehydration - has your bun been drinking lots? When I read that you increased the hay and decreased the pellets I was surprised that the poos weren't larger and more golden.

Watch for the amount of hay and water she consumes and if you notice it has decreased, maybe get her in for a check at the vet's.

EDIT - dang it! I read your post backwards! :lol: I read it as the poos went from big and gold to small and dark. My defense is that I am an insomniac. :roll: Sorry.

Last edited:
the exact same thing happened to cinnabuns poos, but she is eating alot more hay now so it is a good change i believe!

Small, dark poos can also be a sign of dehydration - has your bun been drinking lots? When I read that you increased the hay and decreased the pellets I was surprised that the poos weren't larger and more golden.

They are more golden. I think you misread the OP.

I noticed that and mentioned it at the end of my post in an edit.
I felt so silly, but I thought, "Oh well, it's useful information anyway even if it doesn't apply to this situation!" Ooopsie.

Hi all, hope you'll be able to help me.

Ive noticed recently that the size and colour of Poppy's poos have changed - they used to be the size of a frozen pea and a dark brown in colour - now they're the size of a marrowfat pea, sort of golden and dont look as dry. I have however been giving her more hay and less pellets (she's on burgess excel light), some herbs like corriander and mint (a couple of leaves a day) and she is drinking normally.

Should I be concerned, or is the colour change to do with her new diet? Thank you in advance :)

Nope that's a sign of a healthy rabbit, congratulations :D

Back