• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh Geez! I Need Help!!!

vgkdaisy

Young Bun
OK, I didn't even think about this when I was already into getting to lil' buns. I'M PREGNANT WITH TWINS! LIKE, WAKE UP CATIE! They are my first kids. Now I have a question, are 2 little rabbits Ok to be with newborns? My due date is Febuary 14th, 2011. HELP! :censored: :x

I shouldn't see a problem, although I wouldn't keep them too close initially in case the fur, or the hay upsets the little one's breathing. From a personal view I would say keep them in a different room or outside ideally but I have friend who had animals in the babies room and had no problems. Just personal preferance really, and how cautious you want to be

Oh I forgot to say congratulations!

Last edited:
OK Thanks so much. I have another question, will the dog try to eat the rabbits? We're going to keep it in a hutch outdoors if we do get them.

I have dogs either side of me and am in no doubt they would kill my bunnies if they got to them... I am not a dog person.. I would not have dogs anyway, but definately not with bunnies, although some people here do.

OK Thanks so much. I have another question, will the dog try to eat the rabbits? We're going to keep it in a hutch outdoors if we do get them.

It depends on the dog. Even a gentle dog who shows no aggression to the buns should never be left alone with them, animals are animals and you can never predict what they might do. If you do get rabbits you should make sure they have an area for living and exercising well away from the dog, as even if the dog is not aggressive, they can still get really stressed out from its presence.

I would agree with fluffiebunnie's suggestion to wait till you've had your babies and then think about getting rabbits. Both of these are likely to be a lot more work than you anticipate so it would be better to take it gradually, rather than biting off more than you can chew. good luck anyway :wave:

I would agree with fluffiebunnie's suggestion to wait till you've had your babies and then think about getting rabbits. Both of these are likely to be a lot more work than you anticipate so it would be better to take it gradually, rather than biting off more than you can chew. good luck anyway :wave:

I totally agree with this - also what is the climate like in NJ? Are bunnies ok to be outside all year there, I know there are many places in the US where bunnies cannot be kept outdoors because it gets too hot in the summer and/or too cold in the winter.

Bunnies also need more than a hutch, they need a permanently attached run that is predator proof...and again this will vary depending where you live and what sort of predators you have. I would say that a permanently attached run would be even more important if you are having twins are realistically you are not going to have the time to spend with them, so you are better off making sure that they have large enough accommodation to just get on with their lives and have enough space and exercise without you needing to move them from A to B etc.

But personally, if you haven't got bunnies yet, I too would wait until you have had your twins and wait and see how that goes before thinking about adding new furries to your family. Good luck with your pregnancy :)

Thanks Santa. And thanks to everyone else who responded. The climate here is pretty hot in the summer, and pretty cold in the winter. I want to keep it outside because of my allergies. My dog is a cockapoo, which is a mix between a cocker spaniel and a poodle. She's hypo-allergenic, so she's easy. Anyway, Bailey is a pretty small dog.

Congratulations! Thats wonderful! :D

I think i would wait to get the buns...you will def. have your hands full with twins & be so very tired to poss. cope with litter changes & hutch cleaning every day, food & water twice a day - grooming & health checks & of course exercise and lost of interaction with them....I think if you have dogs - it means you need a very big area for buns to live in so they can run and do bunny things .....think how much space they have in the wild to run & jump etc...so if you have the space that is large & safe for that then its an option.

Also spaniel is retriever...so not sure...(and one of my favourite breeds!:D)...perhaps just wait till the twins are born....there is a routine & you feel you can cope with the extraq demands of rabbits....in some ways i think a dog is easier to care for in terms of cleaning/feeding....and not so shy that you have to spend a lot of time bonding with them like you do with rabbits...;)

Shame - i feel like you really had your heart set on some buns - and there are so many that really need homes....perhaps just have a think later in your pregnancy and see where you are at....I think twins are so exciting ...and double late nights...:love::love::love:

Thanks Santa. And thanks to everyone else who responded. The climate here is pretty hot in the summer, and pretty cold in the winter. I want to keep it outside because of my allergies. My dog is a cockapoo, which is a mix between a cocker spaniel and a poodle. She's hypo-allergenic, so she's easy. Anyway, Bailey is a pretty small dog.

Its good to see that you are doing your research first.
Buns can be quite allergenic & this is one of the common reasons for them being relinquished into rescues.
I'd really suggest you spend some time around buns before you actually get some as you'll need to know they don't set off your allergies when you are actually caring for them.
Twin babies, a dog & some buns does sound like a lot though!

Back