• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

would you choose a trio?

Hello:wave:
I had 2 brothers and then a year and a half later got Honey and she stayed indoors for the winter.
Last September they all went away to be bonded and are very happy.

I guess it depends on the rabbits personalities as to whether it would work. But I think my 3 are happier than they have ever been.

I'm sure some more Trio owners will be along soon xx

Wicked - well first on my list is to get my boys 'done' which is a few weeks away. I guess it will be sometime after christmas - unless a suitable female becomes available :D

Personally in answer to your question and with personal experience no I wouldn't choose a trio, there is an old saying 'two's company, three's a crowd' I know it can be done but, I think it is very much dependant on 3 factors

Age of the buns
Temperament of the buns/personality
The correct amount of space when bonded

Providing the first two are the same ie, similar ages, personality and temperament should work but, if you have different aged rabbits particularly bucks and breeds I think it's a bit risky myself, one may end up being the left out one, an outsider and the potential for skirmishes is there then.

Having said all that - I think you have an advantage having two bonded bucks they will probably be glad of some female company - I just hope it doesn't cause their bond to break.

Personally in answer to your question and with personal experience no I wouldn't choose a trio, there is an old saying 'two's company, three's a crowd' I know it can be done but, I think it is very much dependant on 3 factors

Age of the buns
Temperament of the buns/personality
The correct amount of space when bonded

Providing the first two are the same ie, similar ages, personality and temperament should work but, if you have different aged rabbits particularly bucks and breeds I think it's a bit risky myself, one may end up being the left out one, an outsider and the potential for skirmishes is there then.

Having said all that - I think you have an advantage having two bonded bucks they will probably be glad of some female company - I just hope it doesn't cause their bond to break.

This is true but there are always exceptions to the rule...

My trio consists of -

Thistle - a 7kg, an elderly conti who spends all day sleeping.
Jess - a 2.5kg, 4/5 year old harlequin bun with numerous health issues and is very territorial and grumpy.
Brian - a 2kg lop. He's not even one yet and has absolutely boundless energy, he's very very friendly.

You couldn't get a weirder trio if you tried! :lol: None of them are related yet they get on as if they've been together their entire lives. I call them The Odd Squad. :)

38954_472059823573_709523573_6627407_8241993_n.jpg

I would say that it's possible, but would depend on whether you think a third bun would add anything to their relationship, and also what you would do if the bonding did not work out. I guess the answer to the second part partly depends on where the rabbit comes from. If a failed bonding could result in you ending up having to keep a pair of rabbits and a single one (or indeed three single ones as sometimes it can cause the original pair to fight) then I personally would not try it, because then the third rabbit would remain single when they would probably be better off with a friend. If you could find a rescue who could bond for you so that you know it would work then great, you might find a perfect threesome - I don't know if there are such rescues where you are, though.

I've a trio, two girls and a boy. Adding the third bun actually improved the overall dynamics as the original pair weren't particularly lovey dovey.

Gypsy, Bracken & Bailey

SDC10875.jpg

i think if you got a single hutch thats the length of the width of your top deck, with a run underneath (and protruding a bit) you could fit 3 or 4 bunnys in there :)

Back