• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help please im going to panic. u.d post #25 & #44

Hey guys, would really apreciate a quick reply.

Dolly has just come back from her spey. Im regretting letting my not so rabbit savvy dad going to collect her, hes just said its all way over his head!!

He said they the vet said that it was quite traumatic for her and that shes a bit bloody underneath. They gave me some critical care just incase and want me to go back on saturday morning.

I know a spey is a bigger op and more traumatic for buns than a neuter but is it normal for does to have to go back 2 days after.

Her stitches also look like they would be really easy for her to chew at, is it too early for me to put a sock bandage on her? or should i see how she goes?

At the moment i have got her in an indoor cage on towels with a cusion in her bed. she has hay and a bowl of pellets. I will check on her soon to see if shes had a munch, if not i will find something to entice her with.

HELP PLEASE. I knew it would be worse, but i wasnt expecting this! :(

Last edited:
Just keep her quiet.Has she had pain relief (long acting) or has the vet given you something to give her ie metacam??

Firstly try not to panic!

A spay is a bigger op but I'm sure shes fine,in my experience a follow up a couple of days later is quite normal....my vet usually says 3 days....keep her indoors overnight at least so that shes warm and comfy and you can keep an eye on her.

She will take a little while to recover properly from the aneasthetic and hopefully she will start eating soon and will provide you with lots of poops!

Oh and Ive never had the need to cover the wound with any of my bunnies after spays so see how she goes :)

Oh bless her - I hope she's OK. Is your vet 'bunny savvy'? None of mine have ever come back 'bloody' after a spey and the stitches have always been hidden so that they couldn't pull them out. I'd be tempted to bandage her. But my main concern initially would be pain relief. Has she had any???? If not, I'd be straight back to the vet because if she's uncomfortable, she won't eat. Do you have anything yummy such as fresh herbs, that you could try to tempt her with? Once I'd got her comfortable and eating, then I'd deal with the stitches etc. I'm sure she'll be fine so try not to worry too much.

I don't have any real advice as Julie's spay went really well and she bounced back right off. I just wanted to bump this up for you and send some vibes for her.

i know exactly how you are feeling, i had my girl done on monday. she had to go back yesterday for post op check, so i think that is normal. what is a sock bandage as my girl has chewed her stitches out and is now wearing a collar which they have said to keep on for 5 more days.

Just keep her quiet.Has she had pain relief (long acting) or has the vet given you something to give her ie metacam??

Im guessing shes had something, dad didnt ask and when i called his phone was off. Marley did and it was the same vet. I havent got metacam but if i need to get some tomorrow i can, ill probably ring the vet anyway in the morning.

Now dont panic,but its very important that you ask about pain relief tonight.
Tempt her with all her fave goodies too...and put a bottle and a bowl of water.

Ive not had experience either but would def make sure she has pain relief...from what Ive heard is they dointernal stiches that you can tusually see - but have also heard they do some on the outside too. I dont know, but would call the vet to check they have internal dissolving ones.

Ive also read that usually they do go back for a 2/3 day post op check...so think that is usual.
Does she have a bowl of water?
Has she eaten anything?
How long has she been home & has she eaten or drunk anything?

Im sure someone else will offer some advice...load so folks o here have post spay experience.:)

Ok ill find out about the pain relief.

Dont want to sound daft or anything, i just want to make sure i fully understand. When you say you cant see the stitches, what do you mean?

Dolly has come back with a shaved belly and a 3 inch incision, i think this is what made me panic as i wasnt expecting it.

ETA: We have 31 poos!! :)... yes i actually counted! :lol:

Last edited:

Dont want to sound daft or anything, i just want to make sure i fully understand. When you say you cant see the stitches, what do you mean?

Dolly has come back with a shaved belly and a 3 inch incision, i think this is what made me panic as i wasnt expecting it.

Thats about right, and it will be very bruised.
The pain relief is so important.She may have had a long acting pain relief injection...thus if youre going back in a day or two, she may get more but do check.
Lots of vibes she feels better quickly and your panics blow over.xxxxx

Thats about right, and it will be very bruised.
The pain relief is so important.She may have had a long acting pain relief injection...thus if youre going back in a day or two, she may get more but do check.
Lots of vibes she feels better quickly and your panics blow over.xxxxx

Thankyou so much!

We have 31 poos :) ... yes i counted! :lol:

The usual practice is to use actual stiches internally to sew everything together, then use glue on the incision :wave:

xxx

Dont want to sound daft or anything, i just want to make sure i fully understand. When you say you cant see the stitches, what do you mean?Dolly has come back with a shaved belly and a 3 inch incision, i think this is what made me panic as i wasnt expecting it.

ETA: We have 31 poos!! :)... yes i actually counted! :lol:

When my girls were done they had internal stitches. All you can see is where the skin is kind of folded inwards slightly on the scar line so none of the stitches are visible to the eye. This stops them from pulling at them.

:wave: As others have said, try to keep Dolly as warm & quiet as possible & offer her lots of yummy food - also good advice about giving a bowl of water aswell as a bottle - she will probably be too sleepy/sore to reach up for a bottle. If she doesn't show any interest in her stitches then there's no need to cover them - I know there are some people on here who have put baby vests on their buns to stop them chewing stitches (just an idea incase she starts nibbling them :lol:)
I hope Dolly recovers quickly & you can start to relax! :wave:

When my girls were done they had internal stitches. All you can see is where the skin is kind of folded inwards slightly on the scar line so none of the stitches are visible to the eye. This stops them from pulling at them.

Well dolly has stitches all down her tummy, its definitly visible and looks rather horriffic to be honest. when i had an operation they glued me up, and id say theres deffo no glue! :?

You can see where theyve been tied off and everything, it will be very easy for her to get at i think.

Well dolly has stitches all down her tummy, its definitly visible and looks rather horriffic to be honest. when i had an operation they glued me up, and id say theres deffo no glue! :?

You can see where theyve been tied off and everything, it will be very easy for her to get at i think.

My girl, Phoebe An had stitches - no glue for her, perhaps it just depends on the vets personal preference? :)

:wave: As others have said, try to keep Dolly as warm & quiet as possible & offer her lots of yummy food - also good advice about giving a bowl of water aswell as a bottle - she will probably be too sleepy/sore to reach up for a bottle. If she doesn't show any interest in her stitches then there's no need to cover them - I know there are some people on here who have put baby vests on their buns to stop them chewing stitches (just an idea incase she starts nibbling them :lol:)
I hope Dolly recovers quickly & you can start to relax! :wave:

Thats where the idea of a sock came in, shes a nethie and a baby vest would drown her, i could cut holes and things in it. My auntys a nurse though and she said it could aggravate her tummy more. :? I dont know what to do, but shes got parsley and dandelion leaves and some carrots to see what she fancies.

I find most does usually take a couple of days to recover. A post op check is normal but I would insist on metacam to give over the next 7 days. She will have had a shot today at the vets but I'm surprised they didn't give you a bottle for you to administer orally. Keep an eye on her spay wound to make sure it's clean and she isn't pulling stitches out, but don't fuss with her too much as she will be sore!

Neutering did Clarence no good at all... :roll: Little beggar sprayed me again today just because I went into my bedroom!!! He seems to think he owns both bedrooms and they are the only places he wee's out of his tray :no:

So... he's now banned!!!!! much to his disgust.:lol:

Axx

Back