• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

any idea as to why my bunny has a tantrum when I put her in her cage at night

kirst25

Alpha Buck
I put her in when I'm goin to sleep and last night she was what sounded like she was throwing everything about in her cage and stomping about,I got her out at 6am because cudnt take anymore and she layer relaxed and was calm after that

it's 36 inch..It's pretty big,she has litter tray,bowl of hay,pellets,2 toys attached to the cage for her teeth and one finished toilet roll and some other toys to chew on and a vetbed

no sorry it's not 36inch,all I know that it's a big dog cage my bf got me it,and it has everything she needs

Mine do the same & trash their hutch - thats why I let them out VERY eary so they have access to their run all day & then leave them with acces till like midnight! They snooze all day & then dusk & dawn they run around going mad with happiness & energy!:lol:

Perhaps you can put a pen up for her to have access to - she obvioulsy want to stretch her legs & run round ....esp. as they do tend to snooze during the day - so will need some space to run more. Bless them - perfect pet for people doing night shifts!
Maybe post a pic & folks can suggest pen ideas for you? She sounds just adorable and so playful!:D

oh ryt I just thought she was being naughty,I understand now :) will she be able to be trained to sleep on a nite and ave the time to run about etc all day?

oh ryt I just thought she was being naughty,I understand now :) will she be able to be trained to sleep on a nite and ave the time to run about etc all day?

I doubt that you will beable to change her sleep schedule. Julie sleeps most of the day and plays all night long. She is free in the kitchen so she doesn't bother us. Do you have a room that you can close off and bunny proof? Julie binkies and rolls and throws her balls and toys all night long and is very happy as we sleep.

Oooo wallpaper chewing! We had a problem with April chewing our carpet. I bought her all sorts of chewy things but no. She wanted the yummy carpet. But she's proven to be a very clever little thing. I watched her very closely for a couple of days and everytime she went to chew the carpet I went over to her, moved her face away, and said "no". Not loudly. Just a soft but clear "no". I did that a couple of times before she gave up and went away and as she left it I gave her a leaf of mint (she loves mint :D) and a cheek tickle. After repeating this for a couple of days she learnt what "no" meant. So when she'd go back to the part of the carpet and start to chew I would say "no" and she'd hop over to me and nudge me in protest! And now she doesn't chew it!... She chews my dining table instead :roll: but that's good enough!

:lol: awww bless,when i see soph doing it i do say no softly and gently move her head ans she stops and walks off coz she knows im watching her

:lol: awww bless,when i see soph doing it i do say no softly and gently move her head ans she stops and walks off coz she knows im watching her

Bunnies are SO intellegent arn't they! I know they don't respond to yelling or shouting so I tried positive reinforcement and she picked it up really quicky :lol: She's more intellegent than a lot of hoomans I know :shock:

The problem is, what you view as 'bad behaviour' is actually just perfectly normal 'bunny behaviour'. Of course there are certain things you can do to stop the wrong things getting chewed (like covering them, keeping her away from them, giving her other things to chew that are more enticing), but ultimately, she's only doing what rabbits do...because that's what she is!

Bless - no she's not being naughty...she just wants to have fun & play!
Have you thought of maybe getting a friend for her? It is nice for them to have playmate, a grooming mate & someone to chase about ...?:love:

training - probably not....:):roll:.....my girls have access to their run all day & they do go sit out and gaze about abit....but during most of the day they are flopped out or snuggled up sleeping.....twitching away as they dream about what they gonna do when it starts getting dark!:lol:
Because they are prey animals - their instinct is to lay low during the day light hours when they may be prey & to awake at dusk & dawn or or at night to forage & play...its safer for them....so to change this would be quite difficult as its within their genes....its just being a bunny.:D

Mine do sometimes play during the day...but only if I bring them inside & after abit they go find a safe place & sleep for ages still....:D

i got her out at half 5 this morning and put her on the bed wiv me and she was fine,she is too you g to be neutured yet so can't get a mate for her,she is a indoor bun and not sure if there is a room I can leave her in at nite wivout being destroyed :)

Back