• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

ADVICE PLEASE!!! Bunny sitter issues - how long should I leave her for??

I'm going away overnight tomorrow. We'll be leaving the bun at about 4pm and returning the following evening, potentially about midnight so that's *quick count on fingers* 32 hours all by herself! She is an indoor bunny and used to having the run of the flat (goes in her cage while we're at work but my other half pops back at lunchtime to let her have a hop about for half an hour, and she's in there while we're asleep or she'd destroy my living room!). She's got a fairly large 3 1/2 ft cage and spends most of her time sitting on her **** anyway :) and we'd obviously leave her with timothy hay, pellets and greens (and possibly one of those dry corn on the cob jobs) but I'm worried about her being in her cage all the time. I know people have outdoor rabbits that spend all their time in their hutch, especially in winter, but I'm so ridiculously soft about the bun that I need someone to either tell me, I'm right, she shouldn't be left that long or that I need to get a grip and she'll be fine! :roll: Advice please!! :(

PS there is a springer spaniel in the house we're going to, I assume it would be more stressful to take her with us?

I wouldn't leave her for that length of time. She could easily fall ill and even die in that length of time.

I would take her with you and even put her in your bedroom if there is nowhere else to put her. She also needs running time out of the cage as 3.5ft is very small.

Have you got trusted neighbours or family that can come round and check on her? it is a bit long for her to be left home alone!

If i have to go out for more than a few hours i leave the radio on for a bit of company for them. :D

I wouldn't leave her for that length of time. She could easily fall ill and even die in that length of time.

I would take her with you and even put her in your bedroom if there is nowhere else to put her. She also needs running time out of the cage as 3.5ft is very small.

Agree with Lily.

She should not be left alone and certainly not in such a small cage (3 1/2ft is not a rabbit friendly cage, in fact not good for guinea piggies either). I would also take her with me on this occasion and find some suitable bunny boarding for next time.

Helen

Can you fix up any kind of run/pen around the cage to give her more space while you're away? Or is there a , bunny-proof area of the house she could be left free range in, such as a utility room or hallway with doors to the main rooms shut? I would also get someone to check on her/top up hay and feed her at least once in that time if at all possible.

We're in Leamington spa. We're going to brum and I'm thinking I may just drive back on Saturday morning to spend a couple hours with her. My friend who usually comes to feed her n let her out is busy :( We did get her a bigger cage but it was two storey and she hated it. We're still trying to find a more suitable one :eek:/ any ideas?

You could set up one of those setional runs in the house like this one. Quite a few people on here have them I think. I just googled for a pic, not particularly recommending that site
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=812&pf_id=8418
Then you could put her a little house in it, I got Lilou a hooded cat litter tray for a fiver off ebay to use as a little hiddy house which she seems to like.
Maybe it would be worth for the future researching if there are any of those bunny sitters that come round to your house for an hour or to to supervise and feed your bun. You could see if you like them and just keep their no in case of emergencies

Have just ordered the ferplast 140!! Looks mahoosive so she'll be in a mansion soon. Thanks for the heads up on the bunnery, looks awesome. Thanks for the advice guys, my OH has just told me he thinks I'll be a nightmare when we have kids! Damn right I will!!

I read that before I ordered it thank you, it's the newer model so hopefully no drama! Can't be as bad as the 2 storey one, she HATED it!! Had a right old sulk!

Back