• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help!! 50 rabbits and 100 guinea pigs need to be in rescue by the weekend!!

devoted2buns

Mama Doe
Had a call off a lady who has 50 rabbits and 100 guinea pigs which she needs to rehome by the weekend due to personal issues?? She has said that if they don't go she will have to get then pts. She lives in lymington between Bournemouth and Southampton. If you can help please mesg me your number so I can pass on.

Bump. I'm miles away but if by any chance some bunnys or piggies can be sent up here I'll foster a couple :(

Oh my! There a lady on the GP forum who has a gp rescue in Southampton or could be bournemouth I can't quite remember which so she might be able to help.

Last edited:
That's horrendous - especially as the rescues are all so full at the moment. I have a spare hutch which is really too small for buns long term but I could probably take a couple of guinea pigs but that isn't going to make much of a dent in the huge number needing a home. Not sure what to suggest. I have tomorrow off work so could help doing bun/pig runs as I live in Hampshire and can get to Lymington but my own finances are dire so I daren't offer to take too many myself unless it was on a foster basis.

I doubt Sue at Southampton has any space but you could ask her? I think Gem visits so would know her contact details. I could get them from Lymington to Sue if there were any spaces.

Have to go back to work now but will log on again later today.

I'd like to help but am not sure what I can do. I've only got a tiny car too but could probably borrow a larger one if I needed to and it was in a good cause:D

Oh gosh how awful :(

I cant help unfortunatly, i can offer a hutch on loan to someone local but thats about it :(:(:(

Can you tell us any more.

I am full anyway at the moment but would be a little disinclined to help if this woman is a breeder for example unless the full information is disclosed. Whilst that is harsh on the animals (poor blooming animals are the ones to suffer always) when people wait patiently to have assistance with rehoming it's a real problem with mass rescue requirements 'jumping the queue' so to speak.

Whilst the RSCPA are no longer helping with strays etc, they may well need to get involved here if the woman has a welfare situation - which sounds like she does.

Also if this is due to a housing crisis or similar then the local authority can try and help. I know a woman who only fosters for local authorities for when people need temporary assistance with their animals.

The problem with such a large number needing places is that someone has to coordinate their removal etc and then bunny runs etc where possible.

Not sure if Julie is doing this or was just asking that anyone who could help would get directly in touch with the woman herself.

If this is the same as the one on TGPF then I think Anna at Wheek & Squeek in Southampton is willing to co-ordinate.

Just to say that Anna at Wheek and Squeak in Southampton has had a call from this lady too.

From the replies on the guinea pig forum there are quite a few people/rescues/sanctuaries who can take the guinea pigs.

50 rabbits is a nightmare.

I have offered to transport around 20-25 guinea pigs up to Doncaster way in 2 weeks time, (I could temp house them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) so may be able to transport some bunnies too.

Will post on here my movements!

We can take some guineas if it helps

Jill we have lots of empty cages suitable for piggies at the moment so could help as a stop over for them and then Steve could bring them up to you, if thats any help - thats if we have enough hay to bed them on though :roll::(

Unfortunatly I don't know what age, breed etc any of the rabbits are, the lady is very upset and I don't know how she has managed to end up with so many animals. I asked if she tried contacting the RSPCA and she said her husband has had bad dealings with them in the past. I am going on holiday Saturday so my time is limited to try and help. The lady can travel and is willing to drop buns off but not sure how far she is willing to go. If we can help place some then that will be a help.

I live very close, i really cant afford to upset my four though as much as id love to help :( I'm happy to try and help with buns runs though, i have a two seater car so my space is a little limited but if i can help in a small way i will. I just really despair with some people. Can you pm where abouts she is... incase I know who it is.

I have an indoor cage, not really suitable for bunnies, but could foster a bonded pair of piggies. Not a lot I'm afraid, but I'm right on the A1 if a run is arranged, so would be an easy drop.:wave:

hi

I have mentioned this on the piggy forum but Walsall RSPCA and second chance guines pig rescue can take about 18-20 piggies between us, if they can be gotten near to us.

Back