• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Having a Hay nightmare

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I have none left, not even a handful :cry::cry: The situation has never been so desperate in the 12 years we have had bunnies.

My delivery didn't arrive yesterday, I had enough to clean out half the bunnies and then thought the rest would arrive in the afternoon as usual, it didn't :( I rang today, I was missed off due to an administrative error so I can have 2 bales tomorrow, but I said I needed 3 and they said I can't have 3 and from now on I can only have one a week :shock: They have nearly run out due to the awful wet weather :(

I have rung round every where i can think of and no-one has any :(

There is no way I can manage on one bale a week. And goodness knows what I am going to do today. I have nothing for litter trays and due to severe heavy rain again last night a lot of the out door buns runs got flooded. So the ones that weren't cleaned out are surrounded buy soggy dirty hay :cry: I feel awful, but what can I do??? I can't get some of them out of their hutches as the garden runs aren't usable either. I have never known so much prolonged heavy rain, our kitchen floods every time too :cry:

Oh no, what a nightmare. It was expensive enough for me to fork out for posh hay when bales of hay were in short supply a little while ago and that's just with two bunnies. :shock:

I wish you lived closer as I'd happily have brought you some from this neck of the woods. :(

I hope the rain eases soon; it's really been an awful month. :(

Have you tried livery yards and riding schools? Weirdly I get hay from a local fencing supplier sometimes too. Not quite the same but could you feed part hay part redigrass as an alternative? You can buy huge sacks for about £10

aer there any RUers who are nearby who can give you some to keep you going?
I just bought 4 varieties yesterday for my spoilt little ones and I would gladly give it to you but I'm in Northumberland.
Livery yards is a good idea - most livery yard users have to buy their stuff from the owners so they have an obligation to have a supply in.
feeling really useless, sat here in glorious sunshine :oops:

You could even try famers direct- could you store a big round bale, as long as it is horse quality it should be good for buns. Some small famers can even make large round bales into the smaller square ones at a cost, but makes storage and use easier.

as a last resort supermarkets stock hay, not the best but its better than nothing :wave::wave::wave::wave:

Liz I have some straw you could have and a bit of hay that may do you for today. I need to go this week to get hay myself, I could maybe get you some if I find some?
Would you like me to get it over to you or is there any way steve could pick it up? We found some hay at Kimblewicks feeds in Ley Hill near Bovingdon when we were low, also Dovehouse farm in kensworth are they all too far from you?

Goodness Liz, poor you and poor bunnies! :( It looks like some of the posts might lead to emergency supplies for you, I do hope so. Mega hay-finding vibes coming your way. :wave:

How annoying, theres a place on my road where we get hay from, last years bales (mine still scoff them!) at £4, and new ones a £6, which are so lovely and green!

I was about to say shame you didnt need it Sunday,but lets be honest nothing else would have fit in steves car :lol:

Eastwick Lodge in Harlow - A414 has loads ofhay - not sure if they deliver?

http://www.eastwicklodge.co.uk/

Or these links came up as Bedfordshire Hay & Straw suppliers?
http://www.yell.com/s/hay+and+straw+suppliers-bedfordshire.html

Hope you get some!?:shock:

They are both along way from us but thank you

Faye is kindly getting me a bale tomorrow which Steve can collect at the weekend, so if we are careful that would get us through another week :)

Our usual pet shop has tried all local farmers, suppliers to try to buy some in but is having no luck :( We definitely don't have room to store a huge bale, we only live in a terrace house :lol:

Jane do you have delivery every week? do they have good supply? I know the place faye is going to is also really short and are being really careful with their supply. I should be Ok for the next week if I am careful, but if this continues we are going to continue to be a bit stuck. If we are, and you are able to get us some we would be eternally grateful and Steve would be happy to drive down to collect it, you are only about 55 minutes away.

Back