• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

"fluid therapy" during spay?

Hi All!

Cinnamon is booked in for her spay next month and the vet has sent me some info regarding "fluid therapy" - I havent heard of it before an wonder if anyone else has and what their opinions are of it? It sounds good to me, and I'm happy to pay extra (it costs £56) if it means an easier recovery, but then the little devil in my head wonders if its a ripp off?!

Here's the info I received - all comments gladly received!

WHAT IS AN INTRAVENOUS DRIP?
This is an infusion of electrolytes in sterile water that is given directly into the vein by means of an indwelling catheter. Fluids are given either to correct dehydration or prevent dehydration from occurring and support the circulation during an anaesthetic.

WHY IS AN INTRAVENOUS DRIP ADVISABLE DURING AN ANAESTHETIC?
During any anaesthetic there will be an immediate fall in your pet’s blood pressure. This will reduce the blood supply to vital organs such as the liver & kidneys. These organs play a crucial role in the breakdown and elimination of waste products (including the anaesthetic drugs used). By giving your pet fluid therapy directly into the vein, at a rate which can be varied according to need, the circulation is supported and vital organs can work to the best of their ability. We routinely give rabbits fluid injections under the skin which goes some way to help protect them during anaesthesia. However, an intravenous drip is much more effective.

HOW WILL MY PET BENEFIT FROM AN INTRAVENOUS DRIP?
As a result of supporting blood pressure and the organ systems during an anaesthetic, your pet should make a quicker recovery allowing an earlier return home. All patients on fluid therapy will have an indwelling catheter placed in a vein allowing us instant access to a vein in the unlikely event that any emergency drugs need to be given during anaesthesia or recovery.

IS AN INTRAVENOUS DRIP ESSENTIAL OR OBLIGATORY?
No, it is neither essential nor obligatory. If you elect not to have an intravenous drip, you are not automatically subjecting your pet to a high anaesthetic risk. However, an intravenous drip can help further reduce risk and improve recovery. We therefore regard its use as best clinical practice and recommend it in all anaesthetic procedures.

cinn.jpg

that will be really great for after the op when shes not eating or drinking. if i got offered that i would want it :D

I use to have it for Holly when she had a dental, because one time when she came round, she didn't come round too good, so had it every 6 weeks and it did help :wave:

:shock: I wouldn't bother. An extra £56 is that????? I have just had a bill through for a 1 litre bag of intravenous fluids and it cost £6.90 (and that was an emergency bag from the vets so therefore more expensive than the wholesaler) so in effect they are charging about £50 extra for administering it?????:shock: A rabbit certainly wouldn't need a litre of fluids either so it would be a smaller bag that was required.

I'd tell em to nick nocks personally!! Sounds like a license to print money!

Last edited:
Hi All!

Cinnamon is booked in for her spay next month and the vet has sent me some info regarding "fluid therapy" - I havent heard of it before an wonder if anyone else has and what their opinions are of it? It sounds good to me, and I'm happy to pay extra (it costs £56) if it means an easier recovery, but then the little devil in my head wonders if its a ripp off?!

Here's the info I received - all comments gladly received!

WHAT IS AN INTRAVENOUS DRIP?
This is an infusion of electrolytes in sterile water that is given directly into the vein by means of an indwelling catheter. Fluids are given either to correct dehydration or prevent dehydration from occurring and support the circulation during an anaesthetic.

WHY IS AN INTRAVENOUS DRIP ADVISABLE DURING AN ANAESTHETIC?
During any anaesthetic there will be an immediate fall in your pet’s blood pressure. This will reduce the blood supply to vital organs such as the liver & kidneys. These organs play a crucial role in the breakdown and elimination of waste products (including the anaesthetic drugs used). By giving your pet fluid therapy directly into the vein, at a rate which can be varied according to need, the circulation is supported and vital organs can work to the best of their ability. We routinely give rabbits fluid injections under the skin which goes some way to help protect them during anaesthesia. However, an intravenous drip is much more effective.

HOW WILL MY PET BENEFIT FROM AN INTRAVENOUS DRIP?
As a result of supporting blood pressure and the organ systems during an anaesthetic, your pet should make a quicker recovery allowing an earlier return home. All patients on fluid therapy will have an indwelling catheter placed in a vein allowing us instant access to a vein in the unlikely event that any emergency drugs need to be given during anaesthesia or recovery.

IS AN INTRAVENOUS DRIP ESSENTIAL OR OBLIGATORY?
No, it is neither essential nor obligatory. If you elect not to have an intravenous drip, you are not automatically subjecting your pet to a high anaesthetic risk. However, an intravenous drip can help further reduce risk and improve recovery. We therefore regard its use as best clinical practice and recommend it in all anaesthetic procedures.

cinn.jpg

I would have thought this was done as part of the operation? If they recommend it in all anaesthetic procedures then surely they should include it in the price?:shock:
Im not educated baout these procedures - sointeresting to find out about this...;)

Not a branch of Medivet by any chance ?

If you opt for the IVs then ask for the bag of any unused fluids. They might use leftovers on another Pet and charge the next owner another fee !!

Many vets will not routinely give fluids to spays, (some don't even have IV lines or tracheal tubes :shock:) so it is good they are considering it, but I cannot see how they justify the pricing as an extra. It's included in our standard spay cost as it is definitely beneficial in maintaining blood pressure, hydration and improving drug elimination. We charge around £80-90 for everything in a spay procedure and are considered expensive at that!!

Pansy had to be put on IV fluids during her spay when they discovered that she only had one kidney in the process of doing the op. It added an extra £20 to her bill (the cost of the standard spay was £68.00).

My vet routinely gives sub-cut fluids to bunnies undergoing anaesthesia - might be a compromise you could talk about? It won't give the same protection during the anaesthetic but it should help to aid recovery.

I'd have had such a dilemma if I'd been given that option (with that price tag) when I had my bunnies spayed! It does seem excessive, although fair enough to charge a bit more.

Many vets will not routinely give fluids to spays, (some don't even have IV lines or tracheal tubes :shock:) so it is good they are considering it, but I cannot see how they justify the pricing as an extra. It's included in our standard spay cost as it is definitely beneficial in maintaining blood pressure, hydration and improving drug elimination. We charge around £80-90 for everything in a spay procedure and are considered expensive at that!!

Thanks for that - very useful!:p
Im gonnna ask my vet specifically if they give fluids during the spay....I know the costs are all inclusive but gonna ask anyway out of interest. I think it should be given if it aids the animal in recovery...:?:)

My buns had sub cut fluids during the during their spay at a charge of £10 extra, I think. £56 extra does sound a bit fishy, given the small amount of fluids that the bun would need...? Still, I'm no expert.

Is there a difference between IV fluids & sub-cut fluids?:?

IV means into the vein (Intravenous), whereas sub-cut (subcutaneous) means under the skin.

IV is a more direct route into the body and the effects of the fluids will be felt quicker. Sub-cut fluids will require time to be absorbed into the body

IV means into the vein (Intravenous), whereas sub-cut (subcutaneous) means under the skin.

IV is a more direct route into the body and the effects of the fluids will be felt quicker. Sub-cut fluids will require time to be absorbed into the body

Thank you!:D
So IV & sub-cut fluids would be done throughout surgery?
Or before?

My doe was just spayed today

I opted for the IV fluids.
When I spoke to my vet about it she told me they always do an injection of fluids pre-op. I asked them if I could request an IV of fluids throughout and they said yes, they will do that if that's what I wanted. There are benefits to it (which were posted earlier). Think of it as doing that little extra for your bun 'just in case' it is needed. It's assists in recovery and allows ease of access to a vein if an emergency situation is to occur.
I was charged an additional $120 (74 GBP!). Yes, that is a ridiculous amount of money to have to pay for something as simple as an IV, but I could never live with myself if I lost my Clover and had to live with knowing she may have survived had I payed for that additional safeguard. Anything that gets a bun feeling better quicker is worth it. We need our bunnies to feel good as quick as possible as this will increase their desire to start eating sooner. It's always a major concern with surgery on our bunnies that they get their guts running smoothly and as soon as possible.
Alas, I am a super-paranoid bun mom.

Anyway....I have spoken to the clinic twice since her surgery which was 5 hours ago and she has come out of the GA remarkably alert and had already started nibbling some food.
Whether an emergency situation arises or not, you will not regret covering all the bases for your beloved bun. That is, of course, if we are able to financially go that extra mile. Inflated vet costs can certainly be the deciding factor in many situations.

Last edited:
I opted for the IV fluids.
When I spoke to my vet about it she told me they always do an injection of fluids pre-op. I asked them if I could request an IV of fluids throughout and they said yes, they will do that if that's what I wanted. There are benefits to it (which were posted earlier). Think of it as doing that little extra for your bun 'just in case' it is needed. It's assists in recovery and allows ease of access to a vein if an emergency situation is to occur.
I was charged an additional $120 (74 GBP!). Yes, that is a ridiculous amount of money to have to pay for something as simple as an IV, but I could never live with myself if I lost my Clover and had to live with knowing she may have survived had I payed for that additional safeguard. Anything that gets a bun feeling better quicker is worth it. We need our bunnies to feel good as quick as possible as this will increase their desire to start eating sooner. It's always a major concern with surgery on our bunnies that they get their guts running smoothly and as soon as possible.
Alas, I am a super-paranoid bun mom.

Anyway....I have spoken to the clinic twice since her surgery which was 5 hours ago and she has come out of the GA remarkably alert and had already started nibbling some food.
Whether an emergency situation arises or not, you will not regret covering all the bases for your beloved bun. That is, of course, if we are able to financially go that extra mile. Inflated vet costs can certainly be the deciding factor in many situations.

very informative - thankyou!:D

I've always had fluid therapy for my older dogs when they've needed a GA, but they have a blood screen first which shows whether extra support is needed.

My vet always recommends it for older animals, but a fit and healthy youngster shouldn't routinely need it.

Thanks everyone for your comments - I have just got ack from hole and caught up onthis thread and really apple Kate e eryones thoughts and experiences. The spay is next week and I still haven't decided but will probably go for it. And yes, that's £56 EXTRA on top of the £96 spay fee!!

Back