• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying a Doe - Is age or weight the main factor?

mimi g

Warren Scout
Hi Guys

I have recently adopted an 8week old French Lop female called Boo.

She is to be bonded with my neutered male Norman and at the min they are living next to each other.

Now most of what I have read says that a Doe should be spayed at 6mths of age, but then I have been told that weight can also play a huge part and can allow a Doe to be spyayed a little younger.

I havent been able to weigh her but she is a big girl (already slightly bigger and definatley heavier than Norman who is a 1 year old Dwarf lop) and eats like a horse.

I know she is far to young to be spayed now, but have Does been spayed younger than 6mths if they are well grown?

P1030596.jpg

More piccies here -
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=242731

xx

They can be spayed younger yes. I recently asked this of my vet because the rabbit's age wasn't known for sure. She said if they are younger then the uterus isn't as well formed so it is harder for the vet to deal with, but there is also less blood supply to it so the whole thing is less trauma to the doe. I presume lower than a certain age it is extremely difficult but I don't know what age that would be. Obviously with a larger breed everything is bigger. The one I had spayed was a mini lop and she is tiny.

Last edited:
My vet prefers to spay by age rather than weight too - some vets say buns must be over 1kg, but some does would struggle to reach that weight (Bubbles would have been about 9 mths and probably very hormonal by then :shock:).

My vet spays from around 4 1/2 mths.

Boo is adorable btw. :love::love::love:

My girls were doen around 4 months - weight is a factor and how well developed they are. It will vary between buns and vets

My vet prefers to spay by age rather than weight too - some vets say buns must be over 1kg, but some does would struggle to reach that weight (Bubbles would have been about 9 mths and probably very hormonal by then :shock:).

My vet spays from around 4 1/2 mths.

Boo is adorable btw. :love::love::love:

I thought it was some kind of rule that they had to be 1kg or more :( Damn vets lol. Ginger - get munching for gawd sake!

Ahh well this is good news if it is possible.

After payday both buns will be going for their jabs so I will ask the vet then what age she recommends for Boos size. I would really like her to be done before she get huge as I think it will be less intimidating for Norman for bonding and then by the time she is fullgrown he should love his big curvy girl no matter what her size (if all goes well)! x

I thought it was some kind of rule that they had to be 1kg or more :( Damn vets lol. Ginger - get munching for gawd sake!

It depends on each vet & what they feel comforatable with and they use the 1kg as a guideline. My vet said that some buns would never reach the 1kg mark, so more importantly they should be in good health and a healthy weight for their size. :)

A different vet (locum) at the same practice told me I shouldn't bother getting Bubbles spayed at all :shock: but if I really wanted to she would do it at 6 mths - needless to say I asked for a second opinion and didn't let the locum do the op. :?

I'm pretty sure you are right, georgie.

My Clover is being spayed next week and will be 4-4 1/2 months at that time. Her breed is unknown and when I had her in for her first check in the beginning of July, the vet weighed her and and she was just a wee bit under 1kg. She has more than double in size since then.

I believe a minimum weight of 1kg and a minimum age of 4 months is the most common recommendation before a spay.

i have a very similar question!!

my bambi is going in today to get looked at, she is a very fat mini rex it seems, about 5 years in age and not spayed. It will cost me almost double to get her spayed, do you think there will be any big problems with spaying a rabbit that has had its uterus for 5 years??? thats a lot of blood flow and a pretty intense organ. im totally on the fence :(

Back