• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Emergency vet visit so worried

caismeister

Alpha Buck
My rabbit Sparrow has to go to the emergency vets last night as noticed his head was slightly tilted. He is ec positive and has had heat tilt as a result of this before. He is on meds now but this morning he is fairly still just lying on his side. One of my buns suffered from total hind leg paralysis due to ec a few years ago and is toatally recovered now but seeing him still on his side today and rolling if he tries to move is awful. I have bought him inside now but don't like the idea of him being apart from the 3 others he's bonded with as they were all sitting round him this morning but I can keep a closer eye on him in the house and I've had the day off to be with him.Does anyone have any advice on how to keep him comfy and if I should maybe bring in another bun to be with him. Looking at him he won't be able to eat and drink as he's just still have offered him a little carrot and some pellets andhe did eat a little carrot but he's just so still lying in his little cage on some vet bed

You can bring his friends in too - I'd make a big pen and bring them all in though, if you seperate the group, you'll have to re-bond once he's better. As you've dealt with EC before, I'm sure you know that any bunnies he's had contact with needs to be Panacured for 28 days too.

As for making him more comfy, with my EC bunny, I got a towel, rolled it up and propped her between the towel and the cage wall so she was more upright. Also pad out the sides of his cage/pen incase he rolls into them and hurts himself. I also avoided picking her up as that seemed to send her into a spate of fitting. She was pretty immobile so I just syringed her meds into her where she was sat.

If he's struggling to eat or drink, it'd be a good idea to get some Critical Care from the vet to syringe feed and keep his tummy ticking over. I also found leafy veg was best as it takes less effort for the bun to eat.

I hope he'll get better soon! :wave:

Thanks for that they are all inside together now and the others are looking after him. I'm helping him eat and drink and so far he's eaten a carrot and some apple and has drank some water with probiotic in it. It's awful to see him like this but he's being given everything possible to help him through.

I'm sorry to hear of your bun's illness. I'm sure having his friends around will help him on the road to recovery and it sounds like you have the experience needed to nurse him through this crisis and keep him fed, hydrated and comfortable.
Is he on anti-inflammatories as well as panacur or lapizole? xx

Back