• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

behaviour of my rabbit has changed for the better

amme

Warren Scout
:D
I have got a rabbit that we got about 8 months ago and she has been vrey naught and has been biting and jumping at me. At the weekend we bought a new hutch( 2 tier one with loads of room) since then i have been able to reach my hand into the hutch and stroke her and get her out without being bitten, I am soooo happy, that i can stroke her without me being scared...... she still stomps her feet alot tho:D

:D
I have got a rabbit that we got about 8 months ago and she has been vrey naught and has been biting and jumping at me. At the weekend we bought a new hutch( 2 tier one with loads of room) since then i have been able to reach my hand into the hutch and stroke her and get her out without being bitten, I am soooo happy, that i can stroke her without me being scared...... she still stomps her feet alot tho:D

has your bunny been spayed? It sounds quite territorial to me - the fact that she's calmed a little since the new hutch could be that she's getting used to something that isn't 'her territory' at the moment.

Hello btw :) :wave:

wonderful!

Wonderful!

It suggests she was territorial about the old hutch, perhaps partly because she was short of space. The main thing now is to discourage her from becoming territorial about the new one. Tricky to do. Make sure you are in there lots with your hands, maybe rearrange things a bit, so no part of it becomes exclusively hers in her mind.

Has she been spayed? If not, that is your next priority, both for health reasons (cuts risk of womb cancer dramatically) and because hormonal behaviour can get out of hand in unspayed females from 6 months-ish onwards.

And she almost certainly would be happier and 'easier' if she has a bunny buddy - probably best of all a neutered male - maybe one from a rescue, well-handles with a known calm temparament.

Our first bun Marble was very much like yours, and she taught us loads. She became SO much easier when we rescued Bunster - instant love and happiness.

Lots of luck with your happier bun!

has your bunny been spayed? It sounds quite territorial to me - the fact that she's calmed a little since the new hutch could be that she's getting used to something that isn't 'her territory' at the moment.

Hello btw :) :wave:
I hope she has been spayed as we got her from the rspca, they said that she had been done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonderful!

It suggests she was territorial about the old hutch, perhaps partly because she was short of space. The main thing now is to discourage her from becoming territorial about the new one. Tricky to do. Make sure you are in there lots with your hands, maybe rearrange things a bit, so no part of it becomes exclusively hers in her mind.

Has she been spayed? If not, that is your next priority, both for health reasons (cuts risk of womb cancer dramatically) and because hormonal behaviour can get out of hand in unspayed females from 6 months-ish onwards.

And she almost certainly would be happier and 'easier' if she has a bunny buddy - probably best of all a neutered male - maybe one from a rescue, well-handles with a known calm temparament.

Our first bun Marble was very much like yours, and she taught us loads. She became SO much easier when we rescued Bunster - instant love and happiness.

Lots of luck with your happier bun!
yes she also has a husbun who she defends, she wont let you touch him when she is snuggled up to him~ bless her

Bumping for more help - hope nobody minds - i think one of the more experienced members may be able to offer advice :)

yes!

Yes, they ought to know! Maybe when you are next at the vet you could ask them to check?

Did the RSPCA vaccinate her too? That's something else they should have done for her before re-homing her. In some areas myxae vaccinations need repeating 6-monthly and in others annually, bepending on disease-levels in your area. Here it's 6-monthly now - changed a couple of years ago. Worth checking out.

Welcome to the site, by the way!

yes i keep her fully vaccinated with both jabs as we have had for 8 months now and she is about 2yrs old....

she sounds like a character

Sounds like a great couple of buns! How about photos?! I shouldn't be the one to write that - I haven't successfully uploaded a photo in my life!

Sounds like a great couple of buns! How about photos?! I shouldn't be the one to write that - I haven't successfully uploaded a photo in my life![/QUOTE

Neither have I. Read all the instructions but still unable to upload, download ... or whatever. Frustrating, isn't it!

Back