• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Billie was neutered today - Question about where to house him. worried!

Lynn's Bunny

Mama Doe
Bill was neutered today and I don't know where to house him for the night. The Vet said to keep him in a familiar environment and that his pen would be fine. but I'm worried he'll be chilled and defenseless tonight.

Its a large pen made of chain length fencing with a cedar roof. The floor is concrete but he has a hutch-type coop he can climb up to at night with blankets and his stuffed animals. There is also a fleece blanket on the bottom and a dog bed. He has a litter box full of hay.

I was thinking that it might get too cold at night. Right now it is 21 degrees celcius but its going down to 13 tonite.

Should I house him in a cage inside the shed tonight?

I'm worried that being in a different environment will upset him and it'll take him longer to eat, etc. He's only had a couple bites of parsely today. He had food this morning before surgery and now its 7pm at night.

Which is the safer option? To house him in the shed tonight and risk him being upset and not eating.

Or to leave him in his normal set up even though he's outside??

Arugh! So stressful. I feel so bad for him. :( also, whenever he wakes up he just walks in circles??

Lynn :(

Because of the time difference, you haven't had an earlier response. In the UK, they advise bunnies coming in for the night following an anaesthesia as they have trouble regulating their temperature. He might not have the sense to go into the coup with the hay and to stay in the warm. Can you not put him in the cage and bring him into the house where you can check on him and make sure that he is eating and pooing okay.

Because of the time difference, you haven't had an earlier response. In the UK, they advise bunnies coming in for the night following an anaesthesia as they have trouble regulating their temperature. He might not have the sense to go into the coup with the hay and to stay in the warm. Can you not put him in the cage and bring him into the house where you can check on him and make sure that he is eating and pooing okay.

Ditto to this, i'd want him indoors for at least one night until he's eating etc properly :)

Hi, I'm glad I brought him in. It didn't sit right with me having him outside. So I set up a cage and he's in it. He was so groggy that he really didn't care where he was. This morning i noticed some poops and some of the veg is gone so I'm glad about that. He is also more alert but still seems subdued.

Also, glad I brought him in because the weather just changed and it's super windy out and looks like a storm has come in. What a change from yesterdays sun.

Glad little Billie's slowly getting better :)

He'll be groggy for a few days but as long as he's eating/drinking and pooping/weeing thats definately a good sign :)

Hi again,

He is barely eating anything so I'm worried. He ate like a bite of banana and a bite of lettuce. He did drink some water though. I gave him some pain meds. The strange thing is he keeps walking in a circle... anesthetic would'nt give him brain damage would it??

Hi again,

He is barely eating anything so I'm worried. He ate like a bite of banana and a bite of lettuce. He did drink some water though. I gave him some pain meds. The strange thing is he keeps walking in a circle... anesthetic would'nt give him brain damage would it??

My boy didn't walk in circles when he got neutered...if you're concerned, I'd deffinately take him to see the vet...it will give you peace of mind at least. I hope he is feeling better soon :wave:

Back