• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bunny has fleas :(

Bumblebee Megatron

Warren Scout
I was just having a lovely cuddle with my boy who now lives outside and I just noticed two fleas - couldn't get the little beggars and feel bad :(

He (and his older brother) both recently had their myxo vaccination but wondering if I need to worry? I will ask my boyfriend to go and get some flea treatment tomorrow.

They both have weird patches of fur but we assumed (and the vet confirmed) that this was just from them molting.

He'll be ok right? Just feel bad leaving him over night with fleas - poor little boy :(

If it's definitely fleas, the best treatment is Advantage...which is only available from your vet (or with a prescription). It's fine to leave your boy overnight, but I'd phone the vets first thing tomorrow. The vets may not even need to see him, if he's been at the vets recently

If it's definitely fleas, the best treatment is Advantage...which is only available from your vet (or with a prescription). It's fine to leave your boy overnight, but I'd phone the vets first thing tomorrow. The vets may not even need to see him, if he's been at the vets recently

Yeah I've used that before. I just feel like a bad Mum now :(
Don't like the thought of horrible fleas on him. I'll ask my boyfriend to pop in to the vets tomorrow, hopefully they won't need to see him as its stressful- he was only in there last Friday as he was really poorly, he needed an emergency dental but *touch wood* is fine now.... just has some uninvited visitors :shock: Many thanks x

I believe it's very rare for rabbits to get fleas. Are you certain they are fleas?

I believe it's very rare for rabbits to get fleas. Are you certain they are fleas?

See, that's what I thought!! Yet vets recommend that you treat them every week for the prevention of getting them...

Pretty certain it was a flea. I've treated him now so fingers crossed....

Have you cats?? Was your wee man an indoor bun at all???
Last yr Lily Shane and BB had Fleakies....along with the cats.:roll:

Hi

Fleas can cause rabbits to scratch their skin, fleas and mites can cause rabbits skin to irritate, and they get bald patches. Really to keep your rabbit happy, your should de-flea your rabbit once every month, as your rabbits can catch them from anything.

Bunny Lover

Back