• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help please, Lucy is going mad...Nest advice

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
I assume its normal, at first I thought she was fitting but i got closer, her eyes were rolling back and she was pulling all the fur out her chest, she is now running round collecting newspaper building a nest.

She was pulling fur so violently....i was worried she was hurt...

What shall we do? Humour her and let her nest build???

Im worried the fur pulling will damage her spey stictches. I tried to restrain her gently but she is so strong intent on pulling it out...I can hear the fur ripping its awful

its heartbreaking to watch.. have video'd some of it. thinking of sending it to the garden centre with my complaint.

Last edited:
Sorry, I havent kept up with RU so much lately and I am not sure if I have read about Lucy and where she has come from. I am also not any good at giving advice on behavioural issues.

I'm sorry you are having a hard time with her, she sounds like she is quite distressed. :(

I hope someone comes along soon with some thoughts for you.

Well given after an *ordinary* spay they hormones can take so long to calm down I guess Lucy may still think she is pregnant, in which case I would have thought treat it like a phantom pregnancy, leave any nest she makes until she realises the babies aren't coming. She maybe thinks the side affects of the spay are a sign she is going in to labour which is why the urgency? I guess it's impossible to know for sure but I would have thought leave her to build a nest and feel secure in a nice quiet area and keep an eye from afar, Atleast for a couple of days anyway, then maybe rethink if there's no improvement.

Hope that helps. I'm sure someone will say if I'm way off base. X

oooh little Lucy...I read some of the other thread...perhaps she odes think she is still pregnant & her spey has made her feel time is close....my heart goes out to her....have you tried asking for advice on the behavior section?
sorry Im not experienced with this behaviour...
I hope she is ok...and you too...:cry:

I would let her build it and not disturb it for a while. She'll still have the hormones and it's best not to stress her. But I'm not an expert, just my opinion. Good luck though. :)

Hi
I've read Lucy's story and it made me in turns :cry: and :evil:
I'm a novice bun owner so no proper advice :oops:..except maybe Bach Remedies ?
These are drops made from flower extracts completely harmless but are known to be very good for all animals, including humans.
Rescue Remedy is especially good for distress and shock(I've given it to animals after accidents/trauma ..I was even given it myself after a severe shock and it is very helpful) I always keep some in my first aid kits.
Perhaps a few drops might help her ...:)

Hi
I've read Lucy's story and it made me in turns :cry: and :evil:
I'm a novice bun owner so no proper advice :oops:..except maybe Bach Remedies ?
These are drops made from flower extracts completely harmless but are known to be very good for all animals, including humans.
Rescue Remedy is especially good for distress and shock(I've given it to animals after accidents/trauma ..I was even given it myself after a severe shock and it is very helpful) I always keep some in my first aid kits.
Perhaps a few drops might help her ...:)

Good idea.

Hope she is feeling more settled very soon xxx

thanks all, she has calmed down today and eating more, she seems to have forgotten about her nest.... she gave us a real fright... It happened about the time her pain killers would have worn off so i think maybe she felt pain in her abdomed and thought the babies were coming...

sorry, im such a panicker. She was REALLY going for it. I was so worried about her stitches. When I tried to wrap her in a towel to calm her down (obv i didnt want to hold her hard) she was struggling free and then pulling and pulling and throwing her head back and rolling her eyes... me and my OH were so scared- luckily it lasted only a couple of mins

Back