• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question about Baytril

alio71

Mama Doe
Herge has been given a course of baytril and is not keen on it as I know that it tastes quite bitter. Can I mix it with a little blackcurrant juice the same as I would for my rats?

That's fine. :D My vet advised a little blackcurrant or pineapple juice mixed in to disguise the foul taste. :)

Depending on how much of a greedy pig your bunny is, he/she might be willing to take it mixed up with a very small amount of baby food (veg or fruit versions only, obviously). It saved me the stress of syringing meds with Alfie :) but didn't work with Bubbles. :roll:

Thanks for the replies, just wanted to check before I did it!! I mix it with baby food for the rats Karen, I will give that a go with him too. If he would take it like that it would be easier all round as unfortunately he injured his face yesterday and had to have his nose and lip glued! :shock: So it must be quite sore for him. Not sure how we will get on though as he lives as a bonded group of 6. The others will think they are missing out on a treat :lol::lol:

Poor man, that must be really sore. :(:( I hope you find a method that works. :) And good luck distracting the other 5. :lol:

It looked awful the vet has done a fab job. I think my tortoise knocked the foster buns temp fence down and she and Herge tried to go for each other through the fencing on my tribes enclosure. Silly buns :roll: I shall have to think of a cunning plan to distract the others!! :lol:

Apple juice is always a good one too. Never met a rabbit that didn't like apples in every shape and form - fruit, flowers, leaves, bark if they can get it.

What's not to like about the juice?:D

At one point i had to dip the tip of the 1ml syringe in unrefined sugar.....yeah i know but it worked and never upset his tum.

now i put it in front of his face so eventually he attacks it and i can squirt it in..followed by a dried bit of apple or dried strawberry or cherry.

i accidentally liked my finger after dosing the syringe..omg....its awful!!!:oops:

Thanks, I will give some more of those ideas a go. At the moment I am struggling with him. He's not liking it one bit but on the plus side his face doesn't look at all infected. :D

I tasted Baytril once to see what all the fuss is about and it is VILE.

If the rabbit won't eat it on pellets I syringe it straight into the corner of the mouth so they have no choice but to swallow it.

I have 2 bunnies on oral baytril for a week so I might try this. Poor Dudley clawed at his mouth the first time, he HATES it. Might try the baby food thing. I have been diluting it with water a little then give him one mouthful of it then a mouthful of a treat and it seems to do the trick

Back