• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what pellets?

crazy daisy

Warren Scout
I know there are loads of threads regarding pellets but i cant seem to find the answer to my question. Daisy is a dental bun and i have trouble maintaining her weight, she has had only 2 dentals this year, one in feb and one about 2 weeks ago, but she has shown practically no interest in hay. Ive tried everythin and pretty much every hay. Anyway my concern is that she has dropped from 2.21kg to 1.68kg since her last dental, i cut her veg intake in half and limited her pellets to every few days instead of every day in the hope that she would eat her hay, which i think is the reason behind her weight loss. My question is can anyone recommend a high fibre pellet? ive had a look and the best one i can find is bunny basic T. Has anyone used this?
My vet said to up her pellet intake to get her weight back up and to try a high fibre pellet.
Sorry if ive rambled on hope someone can help!! :)

The best pellet will depend on how severe her dental problems are.

If she is able to eat pellets without difficulty, then something like Oxbow Bunny Basics T are ideal because the high fibre content will compensate for the lack of hay eating.

However if her dental problems are so severe that she isn't eating much at all (I suspect this may be the case given that she has lost weight recently), the best thing may be to put her onto a pellet with high nutritional value such as Excel Junior

Obviously any change in pellets needs to be done gradually.

My buns with severe dental problems have their pellets soaked in cooled boiled water, which makes them easier to chew...is this a possibility for Daisy?

Hello thanks for your reply. Her dental problems arent that bad its mainly one molar on her right side, the reason why she lost weight i think was because i cut down on her veg and pellets. I feel so bad now but i thought it might encourage her to eat hay. She eats pellets and her veg without any probs in fact she goes mad for her food!
The vet said for me to get her weight back up by giving her a higher fibre pellet then monitor her weight as she may have other probs but prior to her dental she had put on weight so im thinking her weight loss is my fault rather than an underlying problem.
Thanks for your info tho i will have a look at excel junior nutrional value. :)

I use the Allen & Page maintenance pellets, which are high fibre and most of my bunnies love them - even my dental buns tuck into them really well.

The other one I discovered recently is by Bunny Nature. The ones who refuse the Allen & Page ADORE these. They are expensive but for 1 bunny will be less so.

here's a link: http://www.bunny-nature.co.uk/rabbit_gd_basic.html

Back