• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Another pellet question

Babsie

Wise Old Thumper
I feed my buns Excel lite as has more fibre than normal Excel. Would I be better to change to Bunny Basics? (If that's the right name - sure you know what I mean)

Last edited:
The most important part of a Rabbits diet is hay. Pellets only need to be fed in minimal amounts, on average no more than an eggcup full a day. Very high fibre pellets, eg the Oxbow BB ones are good but as long as your Rabbit eats a 90% hay diet then if he does well on the Excel Lite I'd stick with that.

Rather than spending money on more expensive pellet feed take a look at buying a variety of different hays. Much better for Bunny :D

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Hays,+Grasses+%2526+Herbs.4/?osCsid=u3tere1v8hjlopfbebs67u0dc1

my lot have allen and page natural rabbit pellets which are high fibre and fairly cheap.. only problem is its not always easy to find it in small amounts. I have a local petshop that sells it loose from a sack

The most important part of a Rabbits diet is hay. Pellets only need to be fed in minimal amounts, on average no more than an eggcup full a day. Very high fibre pellets, eg the Oxbow BB ones are good but as long as your Rabbit eats a 90% hay diet then if he does well on the Excel Lite I'd stick with that.

Rather than spending money on more expensive pellet feed take a look at buying a variety of different hays. Much better for Bunny :D

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Hays,+Grasses+%2526+Herbs.4/?osCsid=u3tere1v8hjlopfbebs67u0dc1

Thank you. Yes, they do eat mainly hay and have a good variety - mainly Oxbow Timothy and Oat hay, both of which I get on line, plus any others I think they may enjoy. Also good variety of greens each day. I was just a bit concerned that I should be feeding a higher fibre pellet (yes, only an eggcupful each).

Last edited:
Back