• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cylap

Margret

Warren Scout
I have just been reading the post about Benji and the effects of Cylap.
Last year after we got Nala her Cylap injection, we had to take her back to the vet as she was holding her front paw up, and we thought her leg was broken. Vet said no, thought she may have been stung or sprained it. It was only after I came on the forum for some advice, that I found out about the side effects that can happen.
I spoke with my vet and he said he hadn't heard of this before, but if after getting her next vaccination the same happened he would look into it.
Nala is now due her vaccination, and I am worrying that the same will happen. What I am asking is....does it always happen, or maybe it was a one off...really unsure what to do.

I have just been reading the post about Benji and the effects of Cylap.
Last year after we got Nala her Cylap injection, we had to take her back to the vet as she was holding her front paw up, and we thought her leg was broken. Vet said no, thought she may have been stung or sprained it. It was only after I came on the forum for some advice, that I found out about the side effects that can happen.
I spoke with my vet and he said he hadn't heard of this before, but if after getting her next vaccination the same happened he would look into it.
Nala is now due her vaccination, and I am worrying that the same will happen. What I am asking is....does it always happen, or maybe it was a one off...really unsure what to do.

Ask for Lapinject as I don't think that there are reported cases of this VHD vaccine causing the limp or leg problems.

Did ask the vet if they used Lapinject but he said no...only Cylap.
As my insurance is with the vet practice, I don't pay for Nala's vaccinations or examinations, so am unsure as to what to do.
I know she recovered within a couple days, and apart from lifting her paw, no other problems. Ran about, ate well etc

I'm surprised that vaccinations are covered by insurance to be honest, but anyway, for the sake of the rabbit and past history, I think I'd still go elsewhere to a different vet that uses Lapinject if you are at all concerned and pay for the vaccinations anyway.

Of course I would never advise anyone to use Cylap after what Benji went through in his short life, but if your bun has had it before withoiut skin problems then perhaps it might be safer, I don't know.

Just as important, try to educate your vet about the awful problems that some rabbits have, problems my own browsing of the WWW leads me to believe are appallingly common.

Give the the link to Fionaw's site and ask them to look at it. You might save another poor bun's life.

If you raise your concerns with the vet in a constructive way backed up by some evidence and let them know you are so concerned you have comtempleted changing vets but would rather not as you have been happy with their sevice, they may just consider changing the injection they use. Its always worth having a go, you never know it might just work ;)

My bun Paddy had a reaction to the Cylap vaccine too - not nearly as bad a some poor bunnies, but he had a bald patch and a limp.

My vet had never heard of problems with Cylap either, and had never had a rabbit who had reacted badly to it. When this happened with Paddy, she did some research into it and agreed with us that she would use Lapinject the next time.

If I'd had a bun who had already had a reaction to Cylap, personally I wouldn't let them have it again.

Back