• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

your first bunny?

mini lop1

Wise Old Thumper
what breed was he/she? what where they called? and how long did they live for? (if no longer with us)

my first bunny was an agouti french lop rescue called thumper, she lived to an estimated 9-13yrs of age, she was both mine and my sisters rabbit, my sister managed to get her tame

Mine was Peter he was already 5 when we got him from a neighbour who was moving away, he was a dutch.
He was living with his brother, neither of them neutered, turned out Peter killed his brother one night (before we got him)
Months later we got him, he was beautiful (i was about 6years old)
He got an abcess on his face, we were given meds for him.
I was living with my grandad at the time and one morning he sadly died in his arms :(
But he was about 12-13.

Eleanor, a Black Otter Rex

Eleanor.jpg

She was only 4 when I lost her :cry:

A pair of netherland dwarves called Chilli (she was chinchilla coloured) and Gemma. Interesting choice of names, with hindsight, but I was only 11. Chilli died aged 18 months - allegedly of a phantom pregnancy, she was producing milk and everything; stopped eating, was admitted to the vets and died. Gemma lived to the ripe old age of 8, she was eventually pts with severe dental problems of the sort that would be easily diagnosed and fixed these days :(

Spenser is my first bunny. He's nearly 1 but has only been with me for four months. He is a lionhead cross, but goodness knows what he was crossed with - he is certainly quite a large bunny. He's a REW. I didn't go looking for a colour or breed, he was just the most suitable rabbit for a first-time bunny owner on offer when I went to view. Unfortunately he quickly decided he dislikes being handled, although he loves attention. :wave:

Biffo, she was a pure bred sable nethie. Looked a lot like this:

IMG_6613.JPG

I think I was about 10 when we got her. Unfortunately she died young following an accident.:cry:

A blue eyed white bought from a breeder when I was a child. We were told we had a female, but my dad soon noticed some... extra bits! :lol: He lived in a tiny hutch, although was out and about a lot, and was fed a terrible diet, although he ate plenty of grass. He lived to at least 8, and was eventually PTS with severe arthritis.

He lived in a tiny hutch, although was out and about a lot, and was fed a terrible diet, although he ate plenty of grass. He lived to at least 8, and was eventually PTS with severe arthritis.

Mine too Sarah - so ironic isn't it, and so frustrating that now I know how to do things much better, they seem so much more fragile. I still wouldn't change the current 'way' though, I would rather they had a shorter life if it's a better one :)

Mine too Sarah - so ironic isn't it, and so frustrating that now I know how to do things much better, they seem so much more fragile. I still wouldn't change the current 'way' though, I would rather they had a shorter life if it's a better one :)

Yes, he was tough as old boots! But now I know that he was incredibly hormonal all the time. Also, I used to hear him thumping in his little hutch at night. Poor thing!

As a child it was a little choc nethie called Rosie who lived with Henry Guinea pig as we didnt know any different then

As an Adult Bella and Chloe

Spooky :love:

I got him when I was 11. My sister bought him over for me in a Happy Meal box :shock: She bought him over right after we moved here. I was a little kid with no friends and I was being bullied so Spooky was my best friend and he meant the absolute world to me. He died far too early. I think he was only a year old. I think, looking back, he had EC but the vet just gave him ear drops. I still cry when I think about him sometimes :oops:

ETA - Yup, I've set myself off again! :cry::roll:

Last edited:
My first rabbit (over 40 years ago!!) was white with pink inner ears and pink eyes. My much older brother brought him/her home for me and reckoned he had saved him/her from death. Mum and Dad were a bit surprised by the new arrival, but Dad set about building him/her a two storey hutch with attached sun lounge. He/she also had the run of an old metal coal bunker top. A mansion in those days, but too small by today's standards. I don't know how old he was when I got him or how old he was when he died of pneumonia, but we had him for a few years. He slept in straw, can't remember whether there was hay or not and he ate a muesli mix. He used to jump up and greet me when I came home from school, but although he liked being stroked you couldn't pick him up because he would bite. I loved him though:love: he was called Bugs Bunny...how original!:)

Thumper, a black dutch. He didn't even reach one years old, I killed him :cry: Thats what happens when parents leave their young child to be responsible for a rabbit :evil:

Back