• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post Spay - Bit worried!

Livi

Alpha Buck
Well Pips been on cage rest since her spay at midday on Sunday.

She seems perfectly fine in herself and is really getting quite fed up being kept with so little freedom. However I am a bit of a worrier and would rather be safe than sorry. I know she is getting a bit fed up, but its only a few days longer.

We gave her a little free range time earlier and she had a bit of a hop about, and even did 2 binkies :love: Im now worried that binkies are a bit to strenuous?

Then we blocked off a smaller area so she could have her cage completely open for the rest of this eve, and I had a plastic curver box lid blocking an exit off - with a dining chair to prevent her just pushing the lid out the way.....I saw her looking at the chair but didnt think anything of it....two minutes later shes ON the chair!

She was only spayed on Monday :oops: is this ok? She seems fine, but it is me who is worried!

Whilst not ideal hopefully she has not done any damage.

Just check that her wound and the area around it does not become very lumpy and that it remains closed, clean and dry. Do this at least twice a day until she has her post op' check at the Vets.

Keep a check on her poos too.

Thank you. She seems to be a poo machine, and all are identical so at least if anything out the ordinary appears I will notice straight away!

No swellings etc as yet but it wasnt long ago she did it....I also called my vet just in case, who said the same as you - but told me to try not to worry as she was spayed on Monday midday so its a good 48 hours ago now....

I will try and get hold of her again later to check, but the problem is she is so so so lively and such a wriggler at the best of times, I am going to struggle - especially as I am being really cautious not to hurt her in the area she was spayed....Any good advice on the best way to go about it?

Anyone? I cant get hold of her to look at her wound as she is really really lively & cant keep still at the mo!

Hmm.. If she is impossible to pick up maybe try this.. Get a small piece of carrot (or whatever her favorite treat is) and hold it above her so that she will have to stand on her back legs to reach it and keep holding it there while she is eating it and you can look at her stomach while she is standing up?

If it's any consolation Blanche constantly escaped when I was trying to keep her contained. A few times she made it all the way up the stairs and onto a bed :lol:

They're little terrors aren't they :love:

Back