• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spring Greens Alert *stasis/bloat* P36 - conclusions

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
I can't be 100% sure but I'm concerned about the chlorine and the possibility of it causing bloat with the Tesco spring greens I've been feeding them.

3 out of my 6 bunnies have had bloat in the last 5 days, it's all I can put it down to as the episodes were all within 1 - 2 hours of eating the greens. Roo does have a delicate stomach but Elijah and Dot are quite new to me but seemed to have good constitutions prior to this.

Just a warning to be wary and a sharing of info really, in case we can find the culprit once and for all between us.

This is what my bunnies have been through since Saturday:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=242058

Last edited:
:shock: Chlorine - does that not wash off when you wash them then? Funnily enough I bought some growing basil in a pot from Tesco on Saturday and fed it to mine on Monday night, Ness was a bit off colour yesterday morning pressing tum to the floor etc:? I did wash it thoroughly.

:shock: Chlorine - does that not wash off when you wash them then? Funnily enough I bought some growing basil in a pot from Tesco on Saturday and fed it to mine on Monday night, Ness was a bit off colour yesterday morning pressing tum to the floor etc:? I did wash it thoroughly.

There's a link to a thread from March on the chlorine topic on the thread I linked to. It's about shelf lilfe. I've no idea whether they use it on herbs, I've been feeding them corriander too, much smaller than quantities than the greens of course.

I wash the greens thoroughly so I assumed they would be safe. I can't say for sure that's what's caused it but if it could be I don't want to not warn others.

There's a link to a thread from March on the chlorine topic on the thread I linked to. It's about shelf lilfe. I've no idea whether they use it on herbs, I've been feeding them corriander too, much smaller than quantities than the greens of course.

I wash the greens thoroughly so I assumed they would be safe. I can't say for sure that's what's caused it but if it could be I don't want to not warn others.

Yes of course, I can understand that. I do remember reading something about this before aswell - scary when we think what is being sprayed on our food moreso for the buns being sooo diddy and delicate aswell - makes me very cross.

I read the first post of that thread (which I remember) and thumps mentioned uneaten cecals which Mini has been doing on and off the past few days which I thought was the apple twigs and leaves but maybe it isn't. I'll carry on as I am without those and see if we have any more problems.

Are they whole spring greens or pre-chopped and bagged ones?

Whole ones. I assumed from previous discussions that only the chopped ones had chlorine on but the info has come from somewhere (can't remember where) that the whole cabbages have chlorine on too to give better shelf life. If it's true then in the theory that the inner leaves would be safer :?

God sake. I shop at tesco, mine have whole spring greens every week! No problems here though. So far :shock:

xxx

:shock: I'm using Tesco greens at the moment because the ones in our Sainsbury's are a bit rubbish (perhaps they're not sprayed and wilting naturally). I'll keep a close eye on my lot.

God sake. I shop at tesco, mine have whole spring greens every week! No problems here though. So far :shock:

xxx

That's good news. It would be brilliant if LOADS of people post like that then I can start to believe it isn't them as I buy loads of them too, it's their main green food :cry::cry:

:shock: I'm using Tesco greens at the moment because the ones in our Sainsbury's are a bit rubbish (perhaps they're not sprayed and wilting naturally). I'll keep a close eye on my lot.

I've got a fridge full of fantastic looking greens that I just daren't use :roll:

I never buy the pre-packed and washed veg anymore, I had a very sick bunny years ago from eating the kale from one of these bags. I didn't know that the bags of British spring greens had any chlorine near them.

I have been too suspicious about bloat and stasis since Luna passed away after eating Asda greens and then Sora got stasis from Asda greens... :? I grow my own and buy organic veggies where possible these days, but I appreciate if you have a lot of buns buying organic may get expensive!

Gasket and Tappet had greens from asda, morries and Sainsbugs most days, Kale too and never even had a mucky bum between them in four years. Sprocket and Widget seem to have more delicate tums though, so have really cut back on greens for them. :cry:

My seven buns get spring greens every day - often from Tesco - and have been fine. I am ashamed to admit I don't even wash them - didn't think they may have been sprayed:oops: The lot they have at the moment came from Asda as they are cheaper there atm but Tesco is nearer to me so I usually get them from there.

Feel worried now:(

my buns have asda's spring greens. for the last few weeks they've been turning their noses up at them, whereas they usually nom them up as if life depends. and this week tabby has had a bad tum and been under the vet, as it were. she's eating again now but i won't be feeding spring greens for a while. i keep mine in the fridge and noticed the recent batch go limp right away.

Feel worried now:(

I can't tell you how much I hope it's wrong. There must be loads of multi-bunny households feeding loads of greens, I just don't understand why Elijah and Dot would get bloat symptoms. Roo has it fairly often, I just need to understand.:cry::cry:

I didn't use to wash greens either, unless they were clearly in need of washing.:oops::oops: I didn't think there was strong enough evidence for me to change their diet before but I'm too scared not to now. I wish I knew for certain what had caused it :cry::cry:

my buns have asda's spring greens. for the last few weeks they've been turning their noses up at them, whereas they usually nom them up as if life depends. and this week tabby has had a bad tum and been under the vet, as it were. she's eating again now but i won't be feeding spring greens for a while. i keep mine in the fridge and noticed the recent batch go limp right away.

That's interesting :? The greens I get from Tescos look fresh for days, they only go limp if I leave them out of the fridge.

That's interesting, thanks for posting about this.

I'm not feeding the buns greens at the moment (due to Benji's tummy troubles) but will keep it in mind.

It's awful not knowing for certain what's causing a problem, isn't it? :( So frustrating.

Sainsb greens here are shocking wilty, yellow patches and bug infested! So Ive been buying Tescos which are maybe too good to be true :? and I have also noticed a few uneaten cecals!! Hmmm!!

ETA: I always wash veg after previous discussions about greens and chlorine and because Elve's GPs were poisoned by supposedly 'washed' bagged salad!

Last edited:
Back