• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

!WARNING! About use of the *furminator*

TeflonsShadow

Wise Old Thumper
Right, well, I bought a furminator online several months ago, in fact, I bought two, one for my home and one for my mum (as she has my dog and the outdoor buns).

Ive used the furminator on my jack russell and it was fab, we also used it on the outdoor buns. No problem.

I used it on the indoor buns when they were moulting for summer, again, there was no issue.

But I used it yesterday on my indoor two, as both are moulting like mad! Winni was fine, then I used it on Rimmi, only gently because they are small. I only did a few strokes (like I did with Win) and now he looks awful.

You can see some patches where the new fur is coming through, which is fine, but hes also ended up with a few small bold patches!! :cry::cry:

I *think* it might be because Rimmis fur is more like fluff than fur, whereas Winnis is fur...... mum also said that their skin would be softer, as they are indoor buns, which I also guess is true.

Basically, I just want to say, if you have a furminator, be careful, it can work really well and then one day, cause damage. My poor wee boy looks awful :( and I did that to him :cry::cry: I feel like the worst bunny mummy ever.

Needless to say, the furminator will NOT be used on my indoor two again :cry:

I wonder if it's cos it's moult season so they are moulting quicker?

Thanks for the warning!

Thanks for the timely tip. I was going to pick one up for my house buns today but ran short of time. Might put it off permanently now.:lol:

ive heard about them but never got one, as i thought they might ruin rabbits fur, instead i just use a normal bunny grooming brush on locksley, i love his fur as its soo silky and soft/fluffy and didn't want to risk ruining it in any way :oops:

:shock: oh shame poor you! Dont feel bad - you weren't to know...hopefully the fur will grow back quickly...:?

Maybe people can post pics of what they use for grooming their buns? Ive got a brush but it doesnt seem to do much...:roll:

ahh i see, i dont know much about them. We keep meaning to get one for Rocky.
Domino and Jelly are moulting badly but because they are outside ive just left them to it!

:shock: oh shame poor you! Dont feel bad - you weren't to know...hopefully the fur will grow back quickly...:?

Maybe people can post pics of what they use for grooming their buns? Ive got a brush but it doesnt seem to do much...:roll:

I have the bunny set of combs and brushes but they dont do alot for short haired buns!! I only used the furminator because it helps get out some of the fur when they are moulting... I just wanted to help them out! :? Im leaving them too it now, but I feel so guilty!

I have the bunny set of combs and brushes but they dont do alot for short haired buns!! I only used the furminator because it helps get out some of the fur when they are moulting... I just wanted to help them out! :? Im leaving them too it now, but I feel so guilty!

TBH, I wouldn;t worry about the bald patches too much...I've done it by accident just but finger plucking. It will grow back soon enough.
I only use my furminator on Marnie, Blues fur is so thick it doesnt work on him...so I can only pluck or comb him.

I've been using one on my buns as they are having a crazy moult. It leaves them looking scruffy for a while, but thats just because the "new" fur hasn't reached it's full length and the "old" fur has been removed quicker than it would naturally fall out. I have made a bald spot once, and that was only because I used it too much in same area. The only animals you can't use a furminator on are ones that don't moult eg Yorkie Terrier etc. Don't know how I coped before I bought one!!

I wouldn't use it on a rabbit. Rabbits have quite loose fur as they pull it out for nests. It's too easy to pull out too much :?

I have a furminator and it's brilliant on Skye's fur.

I wouldn't use it on bunnies though - Alfie and Bubbles seem to hate it; it seems to drag on the fur far too much and the teeth are also very sharp and I was worried it would damage their soft skin.

I'd agree with the above though - rabbit fur is very loose already and it's far too easy to overgroom with it.

I have a set of small animal brushes http://www.petsathome.com/shop/mini-grooming-set-by-boredom-breaker-15834. I use all of them but the most effective is the slicker brush (which you can buy on its own).

I find slicker brushes don't get out the lower coat with Smudge. If I got one I'd only ever use it on Smudge as his fur is quite thick. The lops fur is very fine so I would never use it on them.

I have also had a few issues with the furminator. I started using it on Starbuck because he was having a crazy moult and I agree with the post higher up about it dragging and pulling on hairs. :( Starby doesnt have any bald patches but there is a little bit that feels too short :(

Lol well I will buck the trend.... I use a Furminator on Hollie and it's been brilliant. I don't brush Jack - there's no need - but Hollie has such thick, fluffy fur. The 'normal' brushes don't work at all so I decided to buy a Furminator having seen it recommended on here.

It worked fantastically and immediately stopped the clouds of fur that were coming from Hollie before I used it! Now she's had a second, very bad moult, and I've used it twice on her. It's got out the fluffy part but certainly hasn't done any 'damage' to her fur - :? - do you think she looks ' fur damaged' (( Here )) ?

I use it gently and it is not sharp - I've dragged it across my own arm to check!! To me - the risk to Hollie of getting a furball from grooming or the risk to Jack in grooming Hollie more than justifies the use of the Furminator and I will happily use it again. :)

It stopped the masses and masses of 'spare fur' that she had before I brushed her but it certainly hasn't done any damage. Hollie did nip me whilst being brushed but that was her being a 'Madam' and objecting to being picked up and restrained! :roll:

It doesn't 'drag' hair if used correctly in the direction of growth.

Back