• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Slugs!

redliz

Young Bun
Ewww!
A few times this week have found slug trails in and around the hutch :evil: Phoebe's been thumping a lot at night I assume now it's in response to these horrors invading her home :shock:
I've rigged up a few heath robinson contraptions that seemed to work last night (old net curtains over the hutch front, some wire netting underneath and salt scattered around..):oops:
Obviously I then have to remove/clean up all this before bun comes out to free range etc ...so yet more work:roll:
Anyone got any easier solutions ?

Arr yes, I removed :lol: a huge one late last night when it was trying to go in the front door of the hutch :evil: it was about 6 inches long Eeeeeeeewwwww

Bluerghegegehrhrhheeeeeerrrrrrghhhhhhhuuuueerrrghhhh. :shock:

I cross the road if I see a slug on the pavement. :oops: I found one on my bedroom floor once...

My technique for getting rid of them is to scream and shout until my Dad comes to see what the hell is wrong. :lol::lol:

I cross the road if I see a slug on the pavement. :oops: I found one on my bedroom floor once...

My technique for getting rid of them is to scream and shout until my Dad comes to see what the hell is wrong. :lol::lol:

oooh - that's a good system :lol:

Eurgh I hate slugs they are so gross :(

See this link http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A2876862 to the BBC site about getting rid of them, the copper bit is interesting apparently it reacts with their slime and gives them an electric shock, you can get it in tape form and stick it round the bottom of the hutch, i remember seeing them do it on gardeners world once and the bloke swore by it for putting round tubs so can't see why it wouldn't work on a hutch!

I get this too - they come to eat the rabbit food. They eat the bird food up the garden too. Orrible things.

Copper is very good. Sawdust and dried coffee grounds also work but need to be replaced when they get wet.

Slugs are also toxic if ingested.

copper is good as mentioned, slugs/snails are like homing pidgeons apparently if you throw them somewhere they always come back :shock: :lol:

I read somewhere that if you leave some beer in a plastic tub they're attracted to it and then fall in and drown!! (what a way to go eh)! :lol:

We found one on Dizzi's ramp in her hutch the other day .... not sure what had happened to it - it looked like it had exploded - half of its innards were 'outards'!! Think maybe Dizzi wanted to play!?! :shock:

well - I like snails.....and feel sorry for the slugs....but also dont want them about eating my vege garden & hanging out with the buns.....copper is supposed to work....the salt & beer thing is abit cruel i think.....
im a softy & try put them in a safe place.....sometimes they do fly too though...into a soft bush...:):oops:

I need to go shopping later ...a certain furry trouble maker took the hump and smashed her water bottle :roll: might bob up to B&Q as well and look for this copper tape stuff.

Our slugs and snails that try to get into the buns aviary take flying lessons over to the neighbours garden :oops::oops::oops:

I've done that :lol::lol::lol:

Don't bother with the copper tape. It doesn't work, they slid right across and left green marks on the tape :roll:

Slugs are also toxic if ingested.

That hugh fearnley-whittingstall cooked slugs on river cottage :shock:, i can't remember exactly what he did with them as was watching it through my fingers but i seem to think he soaked them in something for ages then chopped them up into something...even he admitted they weren't very nice, and that's saying something coming from him...

That hugh fearnley-whittingstall cooked slugs on river cottage :shock:, i can't remember exactly what he did with them as was watching it through my fingers but i seem to think he soaked them in something for ages then chopped them up into something...even he admitted they weren't very nice, and that's saying something coming from him...

Ewwwwwwwwwwwww!

:shock:

:lol::lol:

Georgie I wished you lived nearer to me - you sound hilarious! :lol:

Back