• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Infacol ?

pol287

Warren Scout
I've seen a few threads on here about people using infacol. I have some in my cupboard from when my girls were babies to stop them from getting gripe. How does it help rabbits? When and how much should be given? Intrigued!:?

The one you've got is probably out of date if its from a while ago - should be printed on the side.

I use Infacol when I see the start of tummy trouble i.e. refusing food, acting differently to norm i.e. pressing tummy to floor, or hunching and hiding (as in discomfort)
I use 1 ml then give gently tummy rubs, and get them to exercise.
If that doesn't work within about 1 hr I'll repeat it.
If that doesn't work its straight to the vets.

As far as I know from other threads/posts on here infacol is fine as it doesn't react with any drugs that may need to be given and obviously as it's liquid isn't a problem if there's a blockage! It helps to coalesce the smaller air bubbles into a larger one to make it easier to pass through the system!

I agree with what has already been said.
To clarify the "small bubbles". When the gut slows down, the contents can "ferment" producing a froth/foam. The gut can't move this further on very easily. By dispersing the foam to free gas, the gas can move on & out at the rear end, much more easily.
Rabbit's cannot burp,(unlike babies). The gas has to go all the way through.

I too give 1ml of Infacol (plus the appropriate amount of Metacam) at the first sign of digestive problems. Symptoms usually pass within an hour or two otherwise it's straight to the vets.

One of my vets is of the opinion that infacol is useless as rabbits cannot burp but I have brought Wilm out of stasis twice with its help so I always have some in.

That's great advice. Thanks. I have Honey who has been in statis once but has shown signs of being on her way again a couple of times. So far I have managed to get her back round by tummy rubs and exercise. Will get some Infacol in as a back up for the future. Fingers crossed not needed though.:wave:

I think I read somewhere that it's not meant to be useful for bunnies. Gripewater is meant to be good, I haven't used it though

One of my vets is of the opinion that infacol is useless as rabbits cannot burp but I have brought Wilm out of stasis twice with its help so I always have some in.

I'm so frustrated by your vets' arguement. It's perfectly true that rabbits can't burp, but that's not why it helps. It helps because it converts froth/foam to free gas.
In gut slow down the contents ferment into a foam of tiny bubbles, which can't be pushed further down the gut.

Using a household illustration, foam is like soap bubbles. The gas in the bubbles stays in 1 place, & when squeezed in your hand it goes in all directions. Free gas is like the steam from a boiling kettle, it disperses.

Infacol is doing the equivalent of changing soap bubbles to the same amount of "steam", which can then disperse all the way through the gut & out at the bottom end.

I agree so strongly with other members that infacol must not lull us into a false sense of security & delay in seeking vet advice, nor should there be delay in finding out what has caused the stasis.
I feel that used early it can be life saving in reducing or even preventing the very serious condition of bloat. It is perfectly safe to use if the bun is obstructed (blockage)

Back