• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

nails worn to the quick....

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
Cleo's nails wear differently, her front ones are long ish- the back ones are so short its to the quick. They arent bleeding or anything but they are ALWAYS like that...

is it a problem? the vet told me the quick shrinks if the nail stays short....

Not really sure but has the vet checked that she's walking correctly? She's not dragging her back feet? What's the floor made of in her home?

Not really sure but has the vet checked that she's walking correctly? She's not dragging her back feet? What's the floor made of in her home?

in hutch is carpet, run is slabs, they have lived on slabs for 3 years no problems....

she has no sore hocks, theo chases her a lot i can only imagine its from her making a quick scarper pushing from her back legs... he does it every time there is food about .... but she loves him non the less...

her nails have always been this way, i just wondered if it hurt?

I think it's only supposed to hurt when the nail gets worn to the quick. I guess it'd be a similar feeling to when you break a nail and it goes a little too short.

If they start bleeding, I think I'd put a layer of hay or some blankets over the slabs for a week or so and give them a chance to grow back a bit. :)

;)
I think it's only supposed to hurt when the nail gets worn to the quick. I guess it'd be a similar feeling to when you break a nail and it goes a little too short.

If they start bleeding, I think I'd put a layer of hay or some blankets over the slabs for a week or so and give them a chance to grow back a bit. :)

yeah good thinking, ill get a good look at them tomorrow, not seen any blood around but will have a poke around...

If they do start bleeding, they bleed A LOT! So hopefully, if you haven't seen anything, they're ok. :)

Cloud managed to pull one of her claws out completely in her carrier once. I was taking her into the vet for one of the free rabbit awareness week check ups and when I opened the box, after telling the nurse all about how I thought she was so healthy and never had any problems with her... we opened the box and her blanket was bright red. :shock::roll::lol:

Keep a bit of flour handy just in case one does start bleeding. It helps to stop bleeding if you dab a bit on the end of the claw. :wave:

If they do start bleeding, they bleed A LOT! So hopefully, if you haven't seen anything, they're ok. :)

Cloud managed to pull one of her claws out completely in her carrier once. I was taking her into the vet for one of the free rabbit awareness week check ups and when I opened the box, after telling the nurse all about how I thought she was so healthy and never had any problems with her... we opened the box and her blanket was bright red. :shock::roll::lol:

Keep a bit of flour handy just in case one does start bleeding. It helps to stop bleeding if you dab a bit on the end of the claw. :wave:

thankyou!! handy tip x

If it goes down to the quick then the quick will kinda die off a bit and get shorter, so hopefully it won't be a problem. :)

Back