• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Billie Gene is getting neutered tomorrow & a question

Lynn's Bunny

Mama Doe
Hi,

well, I've finally realized I have to get my male bunny, Billie, neutered and thankfully he is going in tomorrow. Since I've got his brother, Jack, back he has been stressed out. At first I thought he was curious and happy to see another rabbit. Now i realize its an unhealthy obsession and he is not a happy bunny. He is sexually frustrated and annoyed that Jack is around.

Today I let Bill out for his morning run and he immediately started racing all over the yard looking for Jack. Once he found Jack's hutch he started jumping up and trying to get inside it. he kept bashing on the front wire of the hutch and Jack was getting very upset and trying to bite him. I kept taking Bill away but it was no use he just kept going back. he also keeps stamping his feet. Too stressful to watch and much to stressful to both rabbits.

Once Bill is neutered do you know how long he should stay in his pen? I mean I won't let him out for his run and wondered when he can go out for runs again?
And how long til his hormones calm down?

Thanks.
Lynn

Hi, over here we are advised to bring them indoors for a minimum of 24 hours as after the anathestic they can't regulate their temperature properly.

In terms of running around etc, I would take one day at a time and see how he is, I found Gizmo and Jingle both bounced back really well from this op - they were perky and normal after 24 hours - you do need to restrict them a bit though for 24 hours so no jumping or running till the wound has settled, I think the vets advise you increase it gradually with the males but, ensure they are a bit more contained for approx 7 days, if he is likely to go and start jumping around etc I would be careful for a few days. His hormones will take a good few weeks to stabilise and settle down aswell, it's by no means an overnight transformation although saying that the 'spraying' from Jingle literally stopped overnight.

I brought Louie home after his neuter and put him in his specially prepared puppy pen hospital base, he usually free ranges.

He went mad, trying to lift the pen with his teeth and destroying everything in it. I just let him out to freerange as normal and he was fine. I just kept an eye on his nether regions for a week ;)

Back