• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Guinea pig advice needed!!!!!!

unalakey

Mama Doe
Hi Guys, today i received a phone call from one of my work colleagues(it was my day off) asking for advice on sexing guinea pigs, apparently one of our Service users (learning disability) had been given some guinea pigs off his sister (who also had a learning disability) i agreed to meet my work colleague at the service users house, On arrival they had 1 x female piggie in a pet carrier that had given birth to two babies (approx 4 days old) but there was also another young baby approx 4 weeks old. Then in another very small box were 8 guinea pigs all mixed sexed:roll::evil:. The sisiter had been given them by a pet shop as they could not sell them anymore, did admit she bought some, as she could not cope she gave them to her brother.She then wanted to take the mum and babies back home (as they were cute) i managed to convince her to let me keep they were stronger, she agreed. My friend took the four females (poss pregnant) and i have brought back the four males, mum and three babies. I cant possibly keep them as i have 6 of my own, the boys are now settled in the shed in the 3 storey hutch and mum is in my kitchen in the indoor cage with her babies. She is exhausted and im worried about her, i dont have a clue about babies, please someone help!!!! What do i need to do, leave them all together? what about feeding, do the babies need a special diet?

I think male piggies can get mum pregnant at just 4 weeks old so it might be worth a vet trip to get them sexed asap. Sorry, but I'm not 100% sure how to do this myself.

OOH:shock: Need to check little pigs sex then, not 100% certain on its age, i just guessed!!! This is a nightmare, i have 14 guinea pigs at the moment:shock::lol: Thanks for the link i will have a look now;)

Back