• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post-Spay Exercise

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
Ruby was spayed about a week ago. I've been restricting her space to stop her exercising, but can she have some free-range time yet (inside) or should I keep her caged until her 10 day check?

How's here wound healing? If it looks good then I don't think it would hurt. Just make sure she doesn't go to mental jumping up on things.

When Dizzi was spayed our vet suggested keeping her indoors and limiting her exercise for 5 days .......when she first went back into her hutch/run I was a bit worried about the ramp (double decker hutch) but she was fine with it and has healed really well.

ETA : I think she knew when to be cautious and when not to be from watching her. I did have her checked after 2 days and they said she'd be fine back in the run/hutch as planned!

How's here wound healing? If it looks good then I don't think it would hurt. Just make sure she doesn't go to mental jumping up on things.

The wound's doing really well. I won't put her any boxes or anything in then, just let her run around on the carpet :) she just seems a bit stir-crazy!

I am glad there is a thread on this. Pip is currently in a dog crate, well not an open sided crate but one of the big plastic vari-kennels with a grilled front.

She really doesn’t have much room , its about 2 foot wide, 2 foot high and 3 foot long so only 6 sq feet. She came home yesterday, spent the night in there and most of today in there. The vet recommended this was ‘perfect’ when I explained its dimensions etc – but I cant help feeling its way too small….and I know you will all probably say it is…

We have however let her out for a little wander and kept a close eye on her (she isn’t a house bun, so doesn’t normally get to free range indoors) and she was very good, just had a little hop round, came over to say hello & went back in. We left the cage door open but she preferred to stay in & get comfy on her litter tray.

Pippy.jpg

Question is, how long should I keep her in like this? The vet has recommended 3 maybe 4 days. Would that be ok, providing we let her have a hop round (not to strenuous) indoors? I just feel so awful keeping her in such a small space, but at the same time I would rather be safe than sorry (ie let her somewhere too big too son & she harms herself).

The next step is to put her back into her hutch, which is 6 foot wide, and just block the ramp off so she has only got access to upstairs with her bed, tray etc. Question is, once we feel she is well enough to go back outside, how long before she is allowed to start using the ramp again etc.

I was told her and her friend cant be re-united again for ‘dates’ for at least 3 weeks after the spay (vet said a month would be better). They aren’t totally bonded yet, and were just meeting each other for a few hours a day & all was going really really well. So obviously while I don’t want her in any danger, I still feel 3-4 weeks is a long time, although they are both young and I am swapping bedding etc so they can still smell each other quite prominently etc.

Sorry to hi-jack thread :oops:

:wave: this does sound ideal for the first few days, if she is really straining herself and jumping around she could accidently open her wound. The wound will be out of the 'danger zone' 10 days post-operation :)

When Peach was done I put her in a dog cage. That lasted a day at most but she was really miserable and eventually got out when I was putting food in for her (I didn't have the heart to stop her). She went under my bed, where she obviously feels safest and stayed there. However, although I left the dog cage with carry case in my room and open, so she could toilet in there, she insisted on going through to the lounge where her litter tray is. This being the bun who had pulled out all her staples in less than 24 hours, so wasn't exactly "tied up" very well (I had spoken to the vet and he said bring her back on the Monday, this by now being Saturday!).

She had another operation last Wed to remove her growth in her neck, and has stitches running for about 4 inches. This time I created a pen out of curtains and chairs for her, hoping it'd give her enough room. 30 hours after coming home she'd dug her way out, and that evening was running around quite happily. I'm not sure it's recommended, but she's happier mentally than she would be cooped up, and her wound seems fairly ok.

If Peach is ok after a day I'm sure your bun will be fine after a week. Just keep and eye on things.

Give her a big stroke for me,

M

Awh thank you all - She is quite sweet :love: when she wants to be :evil: the spaying couldnt be done soon enough!

Teenage moodswings are quite common from Madam Pip....Been grunted/growled/ran at & mildly 'attacked' today when putting food in etc :lol: she cant help herself, but is very loving & sweet really!

Just gave her another session of free ranging...decided to run up & down a bit much...thankfully managed to usher her back in safely...Will keep her indoors till at least Thursday just to be on the safe side....

Pebbles was spayed last Monday and on Tuesday was running around on my bed as I tried unsuccessfully to slow her down, so back in her 'hospital room' she went :lol:

She had her check-up at 2pm Friday and my vet said she was okay to go back outside. I commented on the ramp (2-storey hutch) and the vet said she should be okay as long as there was nothing that she could catch her tummy on. So I put her back outside that same afternoon. I'm glad I did as it was really hot over the weekend and I don't think she'd have coped well in my bedroom as it gets very hot.

Today I gave her back her little house that she likes to sleep on top of and she's doing really well.

As Bitzy commented, I think they know when to go easy a little.

I've just checked her wound this afternoon, and it's healing well.

Back