• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

neautering

mreeyore

Warren Scout
should we have robbie neautered? we never had eeyore done, when he became mature he never bit or sprayed anywhere, how much does it cost. i am also a bit worried cos some people on site have lost buunnies under anestic.

personally I have never had any of my bucks neutered, mine didnt/dont spray either, and they are all quite loving once they got used to me. It just seemed a risk without benefits. I have always got my does' done because of the high risk of uterine cancer.

I would. Their hormones are telling them to mate all the time and that's all they can think about. They become so much nicer when they arn't concerned about it all the time. Their personalities come out more I've found. Plus they are easier to litter train and just generally better behaved.

Obviously there is always a risk but that risk is a lot lower with a good rabbit savvy vet. And it's a lot less invasive for bucks than does.

Personally I would - the anaesthetic risk really is minimal if you have a good vet who is confident with bunnies, and even lower if the bun is young and healthy. It might be worth asking them how regularly they neuter bunnies and what sort of success rate they have. Rescues do hundreds or thousands every year and it is incredibly rare for them to lose one to the anaesthetic.

I also personally believe that the majority of 'friendly' unneutered male bunnies are actually not that happy, they just act that way because they are sexually frustrated and their hormones are screaming for attention...rather than because they are genuinely relaxed and friendly. In my view it is kinder to neuter them so that they can relax and enjoy life without feeling constantly hormonal and sexually frustrated. So even if your bun doesn't spray and exhibit behaviour that is a nuisance to you, I think there are benefits for the rabbit, even if there are not for you!

It also means that in the future, you may be in a position to think about getting him a wife, and if he's neutered young then you don't need to worry about an anaesthetic for him when he's older :)

Back