• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Metacam V Meloxidyl- u/d Now Found METACAM Cheaper ??????

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I had no idea that Metacam is MUCH more expensive than Meloxidyl :shock:

It is exactly the same active ingredient (Meloxicam)

C is now doing me a prescription for the Meloxidyl and I'll be saving myself about £25 :shock:

Last edited:
Yep I've always had meloxidyl for Santa :) :wave:

Alas metacam is the only one licenced for cats which means I have to use it for Milly. We did discuss me using up the rest of my meloxidyl on her at a third of the dose, but cats and NSAIDs is a dodgy combination anyway so we thought we'd better not just to be on the safe side - makes it harder to judge the exact dose as it's such a small amount plus we don't know if the other ingredients differ :? But for bunnies I don't think it makes any difference, I have always used meloxidyl :)

I keep asking for meloxidyl after having it for Viola Rose - but apparently its tricky to get past the insurance companies when prescribed for a rabbit.

Really? I can't see why - neither of them are licenced for bunnies so it's not as if one is more appropriate than the other if following the prescribing cascade. If anything you'd have thought they'd be pleased, as it's cheaper!

I've been wondering about that for a while. I don't get through a huge amount (approx. one of the 32ml bottles every month), but I guess it all adds up over a year.

I've just looked on vetuk and dog metacam is actually significantly cheaper than meloxidyl on there - both 1.5mg/ml!

100ml meloxidyl is £19-ish whereas 100ml metacam is £15-ish.

It's only the 0.5mg/ml cat one which is eye-wateringly expensive!

I've had both, and hadn't realised that Meloxidyl was particularly cheaper, but then I used to pay about £60 for a large bottle of Metacam at my last vets! :shock: My parents were paying just over £50 for the same thing at theirs.

I've been wondering about that for a while. I don't get through a huge amount (approx. one of the 32ml bottles every month), but I guess it all adds up over a year.

We get through 2 180ml bottles a month :shock: I was going to buy it on prescription but once you add the prescription fees it comes to the same price as buying from the vet :roll:

We get through 2 180ml bottles a month :shock: I was going to buy it on prescription but once you add the prescription fees it comes to the same price as buying from the vet :roll:

Will your vets give you a prescription for a set number of repeats - that way you don't need a new prescription for each order and it works out cheaper?

Really? I can't see why - neither of them are licenced for bunnies so it's not as if one is more appropriate than the other if following the prescribing cascade. If anything you'd have thought they'd be pleased, as it's cheaper!

I think its because it doesn't come in such small bottles as metacam and the insurance like the amount prescribed to match the specific period of illness and size of bun.

When purchasing for non-insured buns I buy the £60 metacam bottle.

C has given me a 6 month Repeat Prescription so I am saving myself a fortune :D

You are so lucky, I have just picked up a prescription from the vets this morning. I asked for 3 bottles, The prescription is for one. Not happy at all :censored::( I don't know why they keep refusing to give me more than one bottle at a time....

Sorry, I realise this was an old forum but I was just wondering which metacam to buy.

Is it okay to buy 100ml Metacam Oral Suspension (Dog) = £16.99 and give it to a rabbit? Does the species of animal it specifies in the tag not actually matter and it is just the amount that makes the difference?

Thank you

Sorry, I realise this was an old forum but I was just wondering which metacam to buy.

Is it okay to buy 100ml Metacam Oral Suspension (Dog) = £16.99 and give it to a rabbit? Does the species of animal it specifies in the tag not actually matter and it is just the amount that makes the difference?

Thank you

It's prescription only so the vet doing the prescribing will decide which is most appropriate. My bunnies have always been prescribed dog metacam.

Back