• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny with weight problems

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
I've got two rabbits both of whom enjoy between 6 and 8 hours of free range time at this time of year. They get fed exactly the same on unlimited hay and two wee bowls of veg a day (one in the morning and one at night). They get a wee eggcup full of pellets between them every 3 days and at other times eat weeds and grass in the garden.

However it's not hard to see that my girl Honey is a heck of a lot chunkier than Roly the boy (they have been spayed/neutered). We put it down to him being slightly more active but he's the one that scoffs his way through the food. When I was in last week getting them their VHD jabs the vet felt the need to point out to me that Honey was "curvy" but I'm at a loss as to what to do about it.

She weighed in at 3.4kg and is a medium sized cross breed. When she was weighed in the middle of last year she was only 2.8kg. I've told my parents to cut down the number of treats they get and the amount of fruit they are offered. They get shop bought treats "Alfalfa slims" and Excel dried apple and herb. I don't want to stop giving her treats completely but I'm not sure what else to do.

Are there any treats I can offer her instead that are OK to give once or twice a day? Also is there anything else I can do? I'm wondering if this somehow ties in with the fact she is so prone to stasis.

What sort of veggies do you feed on a regular basis? Root vegetables like carrots have a high amount of sugar which can cause weight gain, sugar is essentially a type of starch and too much can affect the bunnies gut flora and cause stasis.

Is she a very active bunny when she free-ranges?

What sort of veggies do you feed on a regular basis? Root vegetables like carrots have a high amount of sugar which can cause weight gain, sugar is essentially a type of starch and too much can affect the bunnies gut flora and cause stasis.

Is she a very active bunny when she free-ranges?

They get mostly spring greens, brocolli, kale and herbs with only a wee bit of carrot daily.

She's not as active as she used to be I don't think. She used to dig a lot but for some reason does not do so any more (we haven't removed or changed the areas she used to dig in).

It's just so odd that Roly who is a smaller rabbit and not much more active seems to eat a lot more and yet is much slimmer.

Brocolli can cause gas so that may be attributing to he tummy issues.

A vet once told me that some does do tend to fill out a bit after they've been spayed but he didn't really say why.

Some bunnies also have higher metabolisms so that may explain the differences between your buns.

I'm confused as to what else to suggest, their diet seems ok from what you've said. Perhaps limiting treats is going to be your only option.

Brocolli can cause gas so that may be attributing to he tummy issues.

A vet once told me that some does do tend to fill out a bit after they've been spayed but he didn't really say why.

Some bunnies also have higher metabolisms so that may explain the differences between your buns.

I'm confused as to what else to suggest, their diet seems ok from what you've said. Perhaps limiting treats is going to be your only option.

That's what I though as well. I'll maybe just give them leafy veg daily and give them brocolli and carrot just once or twice a week. I heard the same as you with regard to spayed bunnies getting a bit rounded but this advice was from a breeder who used it as an excuse not to spay.

Right since I posted this I've gotten my parents to only give them a wee bit of fruit every few days and limit their treats to one a day.

I've just attempted to weigh her there just now by weighing myself on the bathroom scales then weighing myself holding her. I've done this 3 times and she's come out at 3kg each time which is a loss of 0.4kg. :shock::D

Right since I posted this I've gotten my parents to only give them a wee bit of fruit every few days and limit their treats to one a day.

I've just attempted to weigh her there just now by weighing myself on the bathroom scales then weighing myself holding her. I've done this 3 times and she's come out at 3kg each time which is a loss of 0.4kg. :shock::D

Go you ! Well done :) Does she look more 'streamlined' now ?

Just as an aside, i saw you say you feed kale every day, just incase you didnt know, Kale is very high in calcium so should only be fed more as a 'treat' veg than a daily thing :) Just advice, not a criticism. :)

They only get kale once every few days but it is one of the things they get every week along with the spring greens and herbs.

She's definately looking less chunky now though. :lol:

Sounds like you have had some success there. :wave: I have the opposite problem - a large buny who looks on the lean side. He's very picky, and it's soooooo hard not to give him kale as it's one of the few veggies he enjoys. :(

Back