• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my bunnys poo is sometimes sticking to her bottom

Most important thing is to work out why the poo is sticking there - it could be that she is producing too many of them (indicating a dietary issue) or it could be that she is unable to bend round and eat them (indicating a health issue). In normal healthy buns with a diet that suits them, you shouldn't find any poo sticking at all, so if you discover and resolve that issue, the problem of sticking poo should solve itself :)

What does your bunny's diet consist of? How old is your bun? Has she been vet checked recently?

she is eating hay and burgess junior and dwarf food..I've had her for two weeks and it's the first time I've noticed it

As said, diet can play a big part ie if buns are being fed too many pellets or veggies. How old is your bun, how much do you feed?

Ok - I would lay money on it being the burgess junior and dwarf that is causing it! I know and hear of soooo many bunnies who find burgess (the normal version) too rich and having these problems, including some of my own previously. The junior and dwarf is even richer than the normal one so it's bound to be worse.

How much of it is she having? Is she a youngster? I would suggest slowly cutting the amount down (how much does she have daily?) and swapping her over onto a different food such as science selective, which more often than not seems to resolve this! If she's a youngster, ideally I would suggest introducing a few greens/ veggies as well, so that she has enough energy to grow while cutting back on the nuggets, but I wouldn't want to make too many changes all at one time.

So for now I would start to slowly swap decrease the amounts if necessary, and mix foods - I would suggest you find one that is a lot higher in fibre than it is in protein, and start mixing the two together, slowly increasing the new one and decreasing the old one over about 10 days.

Good luck x

thank you..i'll will cut down on it and give her greens until I get her something else to ween her off the burgess is that ok?

thank you..i'll will cut down on it and give her greens until I get her something else to ween her off the burgess is that ok?

How old is she? Greens may be too much for her if she is only a baby. Any greens you give her need to be introduced gradually once she is old enough otherwise they might compound the problem.

Wet sticky poo appears when they don't eat enough hay. If they fill up too much on other stuff they won't eat hay. So the best thing is to GRADUALLY reduce the pellets and only give her a small amount of greens. And get her onto a higher fibre pellet - Science Selective is a good one.

she's 14 weeks old..I havnt given her any greens only burgess pellets and hay,I've given her quite alot of hay

Yes but is she eating it? You may be giving her a load of hay but if she is getting lots of pellets she'll fill up on those and not the hay. Even though she is young if you change her diet gradually she should be ok. Otherwise you may need to see a rabbit savvy vet. Especially if it gets watery.

ok ive cut down on the pellets and given her more hay

GRADUALLY! Especially at her age.

It's a long term thing, trust me! I had this issue with Mini and still do from time to time. There are certain things I just can't give her or can only give her in small quantities.

i havnt cut down on them rapidly im just not given her as much as i was advised..i am goin to get a better product of food for her on friday,is it essential for rabbits to have pellets

i havnt cut down on them rapidly im just not given her as much as i was advised..i am goin to get a better product of food for her on friday,is it essential for rabbits to have pellets

It's a bit like a multi-vitamin for them. They don't need lots of nutrients but do need some so unless they have a very varied green diet to get all the nutrients as well as hay then yes they do need a pellet.

Giving a rabbit pellets.... is like giving kids the free run of a sweet shop.
They would much rather over-eat pellets than 'real food'.
They really only need a small handful per day... Use them as a treat.
Rabbits MUST have an unlimited hay supply though. There is only a little nutrient value in hay, so rabbits eat lots of it, so wearing down their ever growing teeth.
Think about it as what a rabbit would eat in the wild... plenty of grass and some veggie matter they come across. Too many veggies will also make for sticky bottoms.
It's all a matter of balance... basically hay and experiment slowly with the other stuff.
Different brands of pellets suit bunnies differently.

thank you bunnyhopper,I've never had a rabbit before so I'm still learning,she is definetly eating more pellets but she has a constant supply of hay,what's the best veggies to try her with?tried giving her carrot yesterday nut she didn't touch it

Try spring greens, but not too many, gradually introduce veggies as this caused a sticky bottom with our neighbours bun (she had no idea!)

I wouldn't give her carrot - not for the moment anyway. It's quite a sweet veg for them.

Back