• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any advice on "just a scab"?

chloaster

Warren Veteran
My immediate thought was bunny syphilis. Am I being ott or does this look more sinister than a scab to you? Just worried cos I have called her owners and they have told me she saw the vet a week ago and they were told it was just a scab. They're now rushing about trying to get another vet appt to get it sorted and don't want to panic them if I am just being over cautious. Any thoughts? The rest of her is in good health no other signs in lower regions and no other scabs on her body.

DSC_0311.jpg

Definitely looks like it could be syphillis to me! Right shape, right place and both sides - a scab would more than likely only be one side. Do they have other bunnies?

Yes, one other. Have suggested get them both checked out and treated. My concern is the vet doesn't sound very clued up! Do you know what treatment is prescribed so I can suggest what the vet might need to give her? Shayla had it years ago but I can't remember what she was treated with. Certainly mroe than hibiscrub! :?

It's usually one penicillin injection per week for 3-6 weeks, as syphillis is hugely sensitive to penicillin so it only takes a small amount to deal with it.

Tetracyclines can also treat it (e.g. ronaxan, oxytetracycline) but it requires a longer and more aggressive course so penicillin is usually the treatement of choice in otherwise healthy animals.

If the buns live together or are in contact then I would ensure that both are treated as it is highly infectious and they will more than likely pass it back between each other, and as its incubation is 12 weeks or more, you could easily end up with an ongoing cycle between the two of them!

If the vet tries to prescribe baytril or somesuch for it I would suggest the owner find a more bunny savvy vet!

Agree with Alison def looks like syph to me
Penicillin should clear it but sometimes needs a more aggressive course than the once a week for 3 weeks

Tinkerbell's syph looked like that, got sorted with penicillin over 3 weeks and never reoccurred.

Back