• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Burrow under shed

Jonny

Warren Scout
Hi everyone:wave:

My three buns have the free range of the garden, which is bunny-proof and (I hope) fox proof! I would always lock them in their hutches at night, but a couple of months ago they burrowed under the shed, and seem to prefer it down there as opposed to the hutch. So - rather than locking them up at night - they simply go down their hole at around midnight and come back up at dawn.

But, I'm wondering, as the nights draw in, whether their newly found warren under the shed is a safe alternative to the hutch overnight? Or should I revert to locking them up?

I'm not so much worried about foxes - my fear would be more that a stoat or weasel would be able to follow them down the hole. What d'yall think?

A friend of mine had her rabbits do the same thing and she thought they were probably safer in the burrow than the hutch at night.

She was unfortunately wrong and lost them both to a fox.

I wouldn't risk it if I was you.

I have never had experience of loosing bunnies to a fox but I know wildlife and I would never trust them to be safe. Foxes are always a danger I would say, even some of the cats we have had in our garden since we moved - we have 2 cats, they are fine, others are not. I would block off the holes when theyre out and put something over them to stop them burrowing under again if I were you, keep them nice and safe, Ive read some heartbreaking stories...not sure why you wouldnt be worried about foxes?

I've seen a fox clear a 6' fence effortlessly just walking up to it.
Weasels & stoats can get anywhere a rabbit can. I honestly feel you need to protect them.

Back