• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Absolutely Torrential Rain

happybunny22000

Warren Veteran
Its absolutely horrendous outside, and has been all night. The run has half of it covered but its still flowed down, and they dont sit in the wendy house, so theyrw now sat in soggy wet hay with wet feetsies :(

I'm worried about them. When its Dry I want to flag the entire run area, and flag over the concrete area because its rough and so the wees and wet hay gets stuck and its very difficult to clean :(

Well dont look at the weather forecast in that case there is more to come up here :( My lot often sit out in the rain too

It was dry here last night, we had the torrential stuff on Sunday night.

Must be a nightmare trying to keep hutches and runs dry :(

Its also hard to clean them out because the second run is on grass/mud so they hay and poops gets mushed in, n thats what they like to sit on :(

Its also hard to clean them out because the second run is on grass/mud so they hay and poops gets mushed in, n thats what they like to sit on :(

Must be really hard for you to clean. Could you have all of their run on slabs and a seperate one on grass that you could put them in when the weather is drier?

im planning on paving all of it, because they just dig their way out, theyre awful hard to keep in, thats on top of free range time, the run is 6ft x 8ft.

It is impossible to clean at the mo :(

know the feeling.my chickens are on the top half of my garden but they freak if i put any sort of cover over them so their run is like a sludge bath.midwife said i shouldnt clean them out but im going have to,bloody rain:evil:

Mine are the same ........ 3/4 of their run is covered but they insist on sitting in the 1/4 uncovered part. Although the run's mostly paved, the water collects in puddles (although only when its raining reeeallly hard) and they just don't seem to mind!!

I'm so glad Biscuit's a house bunny.

I have so much respect for those of you with outside buns, i'd be a quivering wreck if he was outside!

I've had outdoor rabbits in the past, Simba and Sooty hated being inside.

I would never keep one outdoors again, it's a flipping nightmare in the bad weather.

It also makes feeding/cleaning out time a barrel of laughs!! lol

This morning I was absolutely drenched, they were running round and binkying like loons whilst I was trying my best not to fall over them, feed them and clean them out at the same time without actually being able to see properly as my hood is too big for my head! lol

Oh and why does everything take ten times longer to do when its raining!?!?!

Really need to get their party tent up (although I think were going to have 'issues' with the neighbours about it)! so at least we can all be dry! .........either that or implement my 'get the bunnies indoors' plan!! (They're coming indoors for bonding in a couple of weeks, so will see what happens then)!!

It also makes feeding/cleaning out time a barrel of laughs!! lol

This morning I was absolutely drenched, they were running round and binkying like loons whilst I was trying my best not to fall over them, feed them and clean them out at the same time without actually being able to see properly as my hood is too big for my head! lol

Oh and why does everything take ten times longer to do when its raining!?!?!

Really need to get their party tent up (although I think were going to have 'issues' with the neighbours about it)! so at least we can all be dry! .........either that or implement my 'get the bunnies indoors' plan!! (They're coming indoors for bonding in a couple of weeks, so will see what happens then)!!

Hehe, cunning plan!

I'm thinking of moving their hutch/run because i've noticed where the grass is starting to go bare there's like a white covering on the ground, i keep scraping it up and binning it but i'm worried it's some sort of mould. If we shift the mini greenhouse thing they could go up against the shed then the back half of the run (the bit under the hutch) would be on concrete with just a couple of foot of grass at the front. the only problem is the lawn is a couple of inches higher than the concrete so would have to put something under the back bit so it wasn't sloping and no gap underneath, but not quite sure what....i'm guessing some wood but it's going to be hard getting a bit that fits exactly under it would probably need cutting in a long wedgey shape :roll: i'm rubbish at diy and my OH when he assembled their hutch put the hole in the floor for the ramp in the bedroom end initially and didn't see what the problem was, which i think says it all :lol:

I got a poncho from Asda for a quid a couple of months ago, it's black and i look like the grim reaper in it but it keeps me dry on mornings like this, i'm dreading winter :(

I'm thinking of moving their hutch/run because i've noticed where the grass is starting to go bare there's like a white covering on the ground, i keep scraping it up and binning it but i'm worried it's some sort of mould. If we shift the mini greenhouse thing they could go up against the shed then the back half of the run (the bit under the hutch) would be on concrete with just a couple of foot of grass at the front. the only problem is the lawn is a couple of inches higher than the concrete so would have to put something under the back bit so it wasn't sloping and no gap underneath, but not quite sure what....i'm guessing some wood but it's going to be hard getting a bit that fits exactly under it would probably need cutting in a long wedgey shape :roll: i'm rubbish at diy and my OH when he assembled their hutch put the hole in the floor for the ramp in the bedroom end initially and didn't see what the problem was, which i think says it all :lol:

I got a poncho from Asda for a quid a couple of months ago, it's black and i look like the grim reaper in it but it keeps me dry on mornings like this, i'm dreading winter :(

Can you not keep them in the house, so much easier!

I just mentioned about bringing the bunnies in for the winter to OH on the phone ..... he said 'I haven't spent 3 weeks and £600 builiding a hutch and run just for them to use it 6 months of the year .... its not a holiday home!!'!! lol

Sooo I'm thinking he may require more persuading!!! But like I say, they're coming in for bonding so will see how that pans out!

I just mentioned about bringing the bunnies in for the winter to OH on the phone ..... he said 'I haven't spent 3 weeks and £600 builiding a hutch and run just for them to use it 6 months of the year .... its not a holiday home!!'!! lol

Sooo I'm thinking he may require more persuading!!! But like I say, they're coming in for bonding so will see how that pans out!

Nothing wrong with a holiday home I reckon :lol::lol:;)

My tarpaulines are leaking- is this normal in heavy rain.? Not sure what i'm going to do now with the runs to protect them. Having to think of some other sheeting idea. Argh- how frustrating!

Our tarp is leaking too - OH is going to B&Q on his way home tonight to see what else he can get ..... he was talking about using something clear that he can actually properly attach to the top panels of the run (currently the tarp is held down with bricks)!

If he can't get anything else he's going to just buy another tarp! I'll let you know if he manages to get anything leak-proof! x

I have JUST cleaned the hutches out,put their new wire hay baskets up in the hutches,filled the water bottles and put the soil back in the borders where it should be (thanks belle :roll:),rolled the raincovers down then the rain hit.....thank god i got up and about when i did!!!!! :)

We used to use a very thick stiff plastic over the run. Hubby actually stapled it to the lid and all round the sides. Didn't look very nice but did the job!

Back