• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strange Bunny Behaviour

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
Theres two things my bunnies do and i just cant work out why.

1. Domino is so weird with his bottle. He will take drink for exactly five second, and then grab the bottle with his teeth and pull it really hard, then keep drinking, five seconds later he does it again. Its strange, i can get a video if it doesnt make sense!

2. the second level off the shed has snuggly carpet in it, and Domino and Jelly love to lounge up there, and they have never pooped or weed up there, but every single day for the past 2 weeks, there is four of five poos up there every day,but they are "crushed" literally like a powder, each poop is in tiny bits its like dust. I clean it, and the next day, the poops are back, all crushed up :/

Can anyone shed any light on this peculiar behaviour?

1. Domino is so weird with his bottle. He will take drink for exactly five second, and then grab the bottle with his teeth and pull it really hard, then keep drinking, five seconds later he does it again. Its strange, i can get a video if it doesnt make sense!maybe he isnt getting his water out quick enough i would give him a bowl too

2. the second level off the shed has snuggly carpet in it, and Domino and Jelly love to lounge up there, and they have never pooped or weed up there, but every single day for the past 2 weeks, there is four of five poos up there every day,but they are "crushed" literally like a powder, each poop is in tiny bits its like dust. I clean it, and the next day, the poops are back, all crushed up :/
maybe its stickin to their paws and being carried up there or possibly there has been something changed so they are remarkingn heri terriory then once marked standing and ehnce crushing pops.

hope this helps only me guessing mind. x

Pierre pulls on his bottle sometimes I just thought it was his impatience at getting water. I changed his water bottle because he had pulled the last one so hard that it all gushed out, its a shame I missed it because I can imagine is face in surprise when it all came out :lol:

1. Domino is so weird with his bottle. He will take drink for exactly five second, and then grab the bottle with his teeth and pull it really hard, then keep drinking, five seconds later he does it again. Its strange, i can get a video if it doesnt make sense!

1- Id say he is angry as the water is not coming out quick enough- id suggest changing the bottle or replacing with a bowl....

2- Squashed poos.... Im having lots of thses too. Think the warmer weather is drying them out quicker making them crumbly........and as to why they are there? maybe again the heat is making them lounge for longer??? Or if the carpet is new or you have had a new cleaner or new bnny- they are making it 'theirs' again

hope this helps

He refuses to drink out of a bowl, and does it with every bottle i try.

As for the poops, its not like hes stood on them its like..litereally dust its so weird :lol:

I can't help the second bit however, the second behaviour Dells used to do all the time. I changed over to a bowl in the daytime which stopped her from showing the behaviour in the daytime but in the night she used to bite bite bite away at the nozzle bit. Its where she got frustrated because she was thirsty and it wasn;t coming out quick enough for her.

Our Blue does this sometimes but refuses to drink out of a bowl...silly boy :roll:

Julie has a bowl and a bottle. She does that with her bottle too. She will bite it like mad in between long drinks. I always thought it wasn't fast enough but as with yours I have changed bottles and she always does this. With her bowl she sticks her whole head it and drinks really fast when she comes up for air she is wet. I use the bottle as a backup. She has only started to drink from it in the last couple of years. As for the poos being crushed like powder...... that is odd.

Mischa used to do 1. I got him an Ezi-Filla bottle with the valve and he stopped. They all have bowls now though cos he was dripping it down his chin and getting a bald patch. :roll:

Mischa used to do 1. I got him an Ezi-Filla bottle with the valve and he stopped. They all have bowls now though cos he was dripping it down his chin and getting a bald patch. :roll:

hmmmmmmmm Julie has recently developed a bald spot under her chin. I thought that it was from sticking her whole head in her bowl when she drinks. She seems to be constantly wet on her dewlap and the fur is all gone. Maybe it is from the bottle like Mischa? Julie has both.

hmmmmmmmm Julie has recently developed a bald spot under her chin. I thought that it was from sticking her whole head in her bowl when she drinks. She seems to be constantly wet on her dewlap and the fur is all gone. Maybe it is from the bottle like Mischa? Julie has both.

What Mischa was doing was holding the valve up with his nose and letting it run down into his mouth and then down his dewlap rather than licking the valve like they are supposed to so with a normal ball type bottle I doubt he'd be doing it. He also has a lot of stretched skin there from when he had bad head tilt which I don't think helps. He tends to have a patch of thinned fur there anyway. He got frustrated with the ball type ones though.

What Mischa was doing was holding the valve up with his nose and letting it run down into his mouth and then down his dewlap rather than licking the valve like they are supposed to so with a normal ball type bottle I doubt he'd be doing it. He also has a lot of stretched skin there from when he had bad head tilt which I don't think helps. He tends to have a patch of thinned fur there anyway. He got frustrated with the ball type ones though.

Oh, I see. Julie lays her face in the water while she drinks with her dewlap totally emerged. She has always drank like this though. I have noticed lately she is licking the wet dewlap a lot. Not sure if that is why it has a bald spot or if she is licking it because it bothers her or if the bottle is causing it. She tends to bite the thing in the bottle to release a lot of water at once. Silly bunnies.

For some reason Mischa seems fine with a bowl. He used to dip his whole chin in but now he's wizened up and laps it instead. The tips of his ears still get wet though :lol:

Back