• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poll- how much time do you spend caring for your buns??

How much time do you spend caring for your buns- not including play time.

• <Less than one hour per day

Votes: 27 39.1%
  • 1 hour daily

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • 2 hours daily

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • 3 hours daily

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • 4 hours daily

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 5 hours daily

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 6 hours daily

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • 7 hours daily

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8 hours daily

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 8 hours daily+

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters

Ambience

Warren Veteran
I'd like to know how much time on average people spend caring for one or more bunnies?

Please note below how many you have and how much time it takes you to care for your buns daily.

This doesn't include play time with the buns.

It only covers feeding, water( + cleaning bowls bottles), hay, cleaning litter trays/hutches. Please put any other comments below, thanks.

Ambience xx

P.s If you add up total time spent cleaning over the week - i.e disinfecting hutches etc and divide it by 7 days , to get your daily amount.

---This is collectively for all your buns, rather than per bun :)

This does include any medications also.

For me with 14 bunnies- I do four hours daily approx - as i spend one hour on cleaning duties- including bowls and disinfecting water bottles, trays, one hour on feeding and watering, hay and another hour on medicating- as i'm doing this 3 times daily for 3 buns at the moment. I then spend 1 hour overall daily doing runs/hutches disinfecting.

Last edited:
About an hour, doing all of that.

In terms of being with them, I'm always with at least one bun. :)

Caring for two buns, 30 seconds a day of giving them food and drink then 10 minutes twice a week changing litter tray.

collectively...........5 hours per week including cleaning......... thats for 5 buns havent counted newbie in.........

But It takes as long to clean a hutch for two as it does a hutch for one... and takes as long to feel two as it does one....

I clean the hutches twice a week- but its dead quick because they are toilet trained...

Errrrrrrr

Id say per bun must work out at an average of 20 minutes a day....

I'd like to know how much time on average people spend caring for one or more bunnies?

Please note below how many you have and how much time it takes you to care for your buns daily.

This doesn't include play time with the buns.

It only covers feeding, water, hay, cleaning litter trays/hutches. Please put any other comments below, thanks.

Ambience xx

P.s If you add up total time spent cleaning over the week - i.e disinfecting hutches etc and divide it by 7 days , to get your daily amount.

do u want us to work it out PER BUN? or collectively

oh theres two threads :lol::lol::lol:

1 pair of house buns

morning - 15 mins... clean litter tray, picking up scattered poops, fresh water, pellets etc

after work - 10mins foraging for wild food, wash the food, go upstairs check alvin is still eating, open up the cage. dethorning brambles. top up hay prob another 10mins

bedtime- 5mins top up hay, water give pellets.

about 40mins althogether.

house buns are easy to look after :D

boarders I spend all day doing because they are cleaned out every day thoroughly, and theres so many with putting in the runs etc etc. so im answering just on my buns.

I spent about, five minutes on days when i dont clean them out, doing water and giving them food and fresh hay. On clean out days it takes half an hour /forty minutes to clean out my shed and run, because my bunnies literally turn it into a bomb site!

I change 6 litter trays twice a day, clean out every day and feed and change water, groom and check over I'd say I spend 3hours a day just caring for 6 buns. :wave:

Litter tray takes about a minute to change, another minute to put out food and water.
No disinfecting because hes on foam floors for his feetsies, so yeah pretty easy :lol:

I change 6 litter trays twice a day, clean out every day and feed and change water, groom and check over I'd say I spend 3hours a day just caring for 6 buns. :wave:

WHAT???? :shock:

Twice a day are you crazy?

why do you do that?

even daily is a little excessive........what litter do u use? litter costs us £20-£30 per month so u must be paying what £200 per month?

I clean the litter trays out every day - which is easy as I just scoop up the newspaper with hay in it. Then disinfect that and wipe it over which takes less than 10 minutes. I wipe over the base of the hutch aswell (oggie likes to poo everywhere apparently :roll:) and then sweep that up which takes 5 minutes. Spend about 5-10 minutes watering/feeding him and 10 minutes trying to get the hay out of the flipping bag.

When he is put away I sweep around my room everynight with the dustpan and brush to collect the hay which takes less than 2 minutes :).

It takes longer on the weekends sometimes, when I do a major clean out.

I spend about 6 hours a night between 9 of them, we don't do 'play time' because they aren't interested and all except one are bonded pairs so prefer their own company :lol:

even daily is a little excessive........what litter do u use? litter costs us £20-£30 per month so u must be paying what £200 per month?

Even with 9 litter trays done daily, we don't even spend that a year on litter :shock:

Last edited:
WHAT???? :shock:

Twice a day are you crazy?

why do you do that?

Megazorb I buy in bulk from Burnhills down the road from me, I change twice a day since Lola got bad sore hocks, and I don't have the problem anymore! Don't want to risk others getting sore hocks either, so I'd rather be safe than sorry! Plus I like the idea of freshness I don't like litter with wee soaked in just sitting there :oops:.

Megazorb I buy in bulk from Burnhills down the road from me, I change twice a day since Lola got bad sore hocks, and I don't have the problem anymore! Don't want to risk others getting sore hocks either, so I'd rather be safe than sorry! Plus I like the idea of freshness I don't like litter with wee soaked in just sitting there :oops:.

I guess... I use paper based litter with a layer of woodshavings beneath. I use yesterdays news at £7.00 per bag which lasts me 1 week..... (6 toilet changes)
it stops andy odour, then on 'in between days' I sometimes add a layer of woodshavings on top just to minimise the risk of any urine on the feet...

Noodle has been getting sore hock (single) so will give it a try!

I guess... I use paper based litter with a layer of woodshavings beneath. I use yesterdays news at £7.00 per bag which lasts me 1 week..... (6 toilet changes)
it stops andy odour, then on 'in between days' I sometimes add a layer of woodshavings on top just to minimise the risk of any urine on the feet...

Yeah 1 bag of megazorb is like £6.00 and that's for 80 litres, lasts 2 weeks ish for 1 bag for just litter trays. I don't use megazorb for the bunnies bases, they have vetbed. So cleaning out isn't an awful task, just hand washing vet bed, drying and changing the vet bed, sweeping and changing the litter trays as well as disinfecting of course, but it's not heavy on my budget. I get bales of hay for a fiver too, the thing that sets me back is the burns green oat hay, my guys can get through 6 bags in 2 weeks easy and thats £26.00 gone. :shock:

My lot are also picky and east oxbow bunny basics pellets ...sigh!

I do litter trays daily and sweep around generally fuss about a bit with my cloth or dustpan and brush, realistically by the time I do all my fussing about with cleaning litter trays, filling, refreshing hay baskets, feed etc it's easy half hour per bun per day (2 hours) before playing/stroking etc

Back