• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

P@H

LucyB

Warren Scout
Gerr! Just wanted to share this with everyone, that place makes me so mad!

I was in earlier getting some pellets (unfortunately I went too late for any nice independant shops to still be open!), and as always I like to peer sadly at the bunnies and feel sorry for them that they have to live in the nasty shop... and as I peered over the top I saw two of them "at it like rabbits" (pardon the phrase!!)

I could be wrong but I'd always assumed that they split male/females up to prevent unwanted babies, I was pretty mortified so went straight over to tell the *ahem* 'lovely' assistant woman when I paid for my stuff and she just shrugged and muttered something along the lines of 'they are rabbits, that's what they do!' :shock:

I was AMAZED!!! :shock::shock:

Thing is, same sex bunnies do this to become the dominant one, so they may have been split into same sex cages.

Jessica and Chloe, my two sister rabbits constantly humped each other until I had them done. Even then, it took a couple of weeks before they stopped! ;)

in our local p@h today, spending £22 on silly treats to tempt tabby to eat, daughter and i saw two hammies - on had the other on its back and was biting its legs and genitals. we told the staff but they were not in the least concerned.

I've heard a lot of bad things about P@H. A friend of mine bought a bun from them (it was a first bun) and when taken to the vets to be neutered, the vet was convinced it was a wild rabbit

i find our pets at home not too bad.although they get sick of me complaing. i just dont like the way some stores get their stock as they call it

in our local p@h today, spending £22 on silly treats to tempt tabby to eat, daughter and i saw two hammies - on had the other on its back and was biting its legs and genitals. we told the staff but they were not in the least concerned.

This is basically what I saw on the adoption centre of my new local one, with a scrawled mobile phone number of the person getting rid :shock: They are so incompetent it's unreal.

Our local branch isn't too bad at all, they don't have much space for livestock so only usually 3 rabbits or so and a couple of guinea pigs. They do have a few of the small rodents as well.

I have seen much, MUCH worse conditions in the small independant petshops though :(

The pah near us is good for the small and furries, but not for fish. Drives me mad when I hear them say this 'fish will live with anything'...... when clearly said fish will not!

But for the rabbits, GPs etc they are pretty good - and seem to have more in the pah adoption section then the 'shop bunnies', my buns came from pah adoption, the original owner had male and female (obviously) and didnt take any steps to prevent the preg (im sure the assistant was far to forth coming with some of the info :?

The pah near us is good for the small and furries, but not for fish. Drives me mad when I hear them say this 'fish will live with anything'...... when clearly said fish will not!

But for the rabbits, GPs etc they are pretty good - and seem to have more in the pah adoption section then the 'shop bunnies', my buns came from pah adoption, the original owner had male and female (obviously) and didnt take any steps to prevent the preg (im sure the assistant was far to forth coming with some of the info :?

The P@H near me are obsessed with the fish! They always have some sort of disease in there though :? but honestly they give so many more instructions than with the furries, and they only let you buy one at a time.

The P@H near me are obsessed with the fish! They always have some sort of disease in there though :? but honestly they give so many more instructions than with the furries, and they only let you buy one at a time.

Funny how the same store chain varies ( I could understand if it was a franchise) - I think it is all down to the manager. Our pah encourages you to buy 2 rabbits at a time............

Funny how the same store chain varies ( I could understand if it was a franchise) - I think it is all down to the manager. Our pah encourages you to buy 2 rabbits at a time............

I think you're right, and down to the staff member as well, there are one or two really good members of staff at my local one, but the two assistant/deputy managers showed me Ruby (she was a P@H adoption). She was only boxing, and they were shrieking on about how aggressive and evil she was :roll:

I think you're right, and down to the staff member as well, there are one or two really good members of staff at my local one, but the two assistant/deputy managers showed me Ruby (she was a P@H adoption). She was only boxing, and they were shrieking on about how aggressive and evil she was :roll:

Dear god!!!!! I really do think in the training they should be taught about the animals!!!!

We bought hamsters a few years ago and the guy that was picking the ones we wanted was terrified of them :lol::roll: I did it for him in the end :D

Dear god!!!!! I really do think in the training they should be taught about the animals!!!!

We bought hamsters a few years ago and the guy that was picking the ones we wanted was terrified of them :lol::roll: I did it for him in the end :D

Think they have a problem if the customer has to pick them up! :lol: You should of asked for national minimum wage for your time! :lol:

You're so right. We had to pick Ruby up and put her in the box :roll: she didn't want us to touch her in case she had to write it in the First Aid book :roll:

You're so right. We had to pick Ruby up and put her in the box :roll: she didn't want us to touch her in case she had to write it in the First Aid book :roll:

First aid book - what a load of nosense!! I wonder when the human race will use its common sense??? :shock::shock::shock:

Maybe I will change my job and run one of those stores.... erm nope.

Our local PAH is ok I think, the rabbits look well cared for and clean and they do split according to sex, same with other small furries.

Rabbits hump regardless of sex, it is a domination thing.

I remember going into a P @ H once and watching this teenage boy trying to stroke on of the rabbits, it was quite obvious the rabbit did not want to be stroked but the boy carried on none the less (despite the signs saying do not touch the animals :roll: ) in the end the rabbit turned round and bit him :lol:
1 nil to little bunny

Sorry going slightly off track there :oops: Our local one is ok I don't tend to go in often though :?

A few weeks back I went into my P@H. Was wandering around and always look at the bunnies, then on to the adoption centre. A guinea pig had a really weird stance so I watched, then I realised she was giving birth :shock:

I ran down to the front desk to tell them, and one of the chaps (seemed to be the most knowledgeable) was saying how the woman had assured him she'd been 'fixed'. This little girl was in with another little girl (he checked there and then).

He got another staff member to set up a quarantine cage and moved both piggies off the shop floor as he wanted them to stay bonded.

Unfortunately, baby didn't make it. He said they're normally up and running as soon as they're born.

I came home, checked the internet and don't think he's quite right. And surely they shouldn't have been moved??

Went back today for litter, and had another look, no sign of the piggies and daren't ask. But the original owner handed over 18 to be adopted.:(

And today they had a gorgeous little REW on it's own, and I watched as it 'scanned' the cage. This is the second REW I've seen in this same store doing the same scanning. I know this is fairly common for REW's, but no-one's going to buy the poor little mite if they watch this behaviour.

For food and hay and general pet products our P@H are great

But when it comes to sexing the animals they are rubbish. I bought my buns as two boys (they encourage buns to be bought in pairs) They were both checked by two members of staff when they were selling them to me. Took the buns to the vets two days later for vaccinations and low and behold I had a boy and a girl! They are my first buns and I know better now to go to a rescue instead, but it was quite a shock to a first time bunny owner I can tell you!

Back