• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pips been spayed...

Livi

Alpha Buck
Picked her up & is quite lethargic but its to be expected I know (sorry for yet another spaying thread btw!).

She is quite lively when the cage door is opened, coming over & hoping to escape I think....however she hasnt looked at her food yet....

I picked her up at 5.30 and she was operated on approx midday...

How long after spaying should they begin to eat?

have tried her with pellets, a mix of hay, some carrot and cauliflower leaves....These are the only veggies I have tried her on as yet as I havent had her long & wanted her on a stable diet with no tummy upsets in the run up to her spay....

If she isn't eating within 24hrs then you need to take her back to the vets. I don't think it's anything to worry about that she hasn't eaten yet though. Try soaking some pellets in water to make them soggy. Try some dandilion leaves and some fresh grass. Make a note of all the foods she has access to so you can see if she has eaten in the morning. Also make sure she has a clean litter tray so you can see if she has gone toilet.

Thanks Tim :) She has done several poos tonight, all which seem healthy & the same as her usual. Dont know if that means she has eaten more recently than I think...

Have offered her some apple & grass I picked, but nothing as yet....She is usually a good eater so hopefully overnight she will pick up..

Agree with Tim :wave: Ruby has just been spayed and she was really groggy when she first came round and didn't eat or poop at all on the night, I had to syringe feed her the morning after but then she was fine after that.

Overnight Pip seems to have had a few pellets & I did spot her having a quick munch of hay.....I also saw her drinking....and there were at least 10 new poos overnight!

Does this sound ok? She hasnt eaten loads but is starting to graze a little & obviously the bowels etc are in swing....

This sounds normal to me.

Neither of my girls ate much for the first 24 hours or so. Have you any dandelions? These are what got mine eating a bit better :D

Thanks Lily thats re-assuring!

She does seem to be feeling better this morning, I put a new bowl of feed on which she picked up and flung out of the way :lol:

I then caught her have a munch of hay & she did eat a pellet or two....

She has some Excel Dandelion and Marigold herbage, mixed with some Timothy Hay & some bog standard Hay (which I normally use in her litter tray, and she seems to like eating it too!)....She has started trying to mess things up today :) makes it more work for me, keep cleaning up & making sure she isnt laying on it!

Back