• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Reputable Bunny Sellers

I recently lost my rabbit and in time, I think I would like another one. However, my little rabbit had dental problems, which I was told was due to breeding ie the parents probably had the same problem. How do I know I am buying a bunny in the best of health ? I was just about to phone Pets at Home when I came across lots of very unfavourable posts on this website. Can anyone please tell me how to go about getting a rabbit that has been checked over properly - my little guy was only a year old wen he died and I dont want to put my kids through that again. Thankyou x

Your best bet is maybe a rescue bunny :) There are over 33,000 rabbits looking for their forever homes right now.

Take a look on www.rabbitrehome.org.uk and you can see if you can find one or a pair perhaps :)

EDIT: also, most rescue buns are already vaccinated/spayed/neutered so you won't need to worry about that.

Bad breeding isn't good for any creature, but many rabbits suffer from teeth problems, and it can occur at any point in their lives from baby to elderly.

I'd definately recommend going to a rescue as all rabbits should have been health checked, and whilst no guarantees can be given that teeth problems won't occur in the future, you should be assured that the rabbit is in good health when it leaves the rescue.

Lop eared rabbits tend to be more prone than uppy eared rabbits, due to the shape of their skulls, and little bunnies like nethies can be more prone (tiny mouths/skulls), but it can strike randomly.

If you can go down the rehoming route that's brilliant I have 2 rescue bunnies and 2 pets at home bunnies, the way I see it is this, both the PAH buns I have I did take a risk but, equally when I adopted my two rescues I did as neither had really ever had regular vac's or vet treatment etc,

PAH bunnies that are not bought end up somewhere don't they? To me all bunnies regardless of where fate has placed them if they are in need of a good home are equally deserving, before I get jumped on for saying that - I do know the theory behind rescuing etc etc just that in pet shop terms - pets at home are not the worst case scenario - there is far worse out there and they are striving to improve things which is positive for everyone, the animals the staff, the customers etc etc Can we really ever know how many of the rescue rabbits that are awaiting homes were Pets at home bunnies? No we can't. All rabbits that need a home are equal to me, they have no choice in the matter where they end up.

Good on you for looking for adopting rescue buns - it is a lovely feeling giving a bunny (or two) in need a home.

The only additional comment I would say in relation to PAH is that buying from pet shops perpetuates the problem with breeders, because it is part of the supply and demand market, where breeders have a financial incentive to produce more and more bunnies, many of which may end up in rescue. So by not giving them your custom - and helping out a rescue - you are doing a great thing for the bunny population. :)

Good luck on finding your rabbit(s), its exciting going looking and wondering which bun is out there waiting for you.

Good on you for looking for adopting rescue buns - it is a lovely feeling giving a bunny (or two) in need a home.

The only additional comment I would say in relation to PAH is that buying from pet shops perpetuates the problem with breeders, because it is part of the supply and demand market, where breeders have a financial incentive to produce more and more bunnies, many of which may end up in rescue. So by not giving them your custom - and helping out a rescue - you are doing a great thing for the bunny population. :)

Good luck on finding your rabbit(s), its exciting going looking and wondering which bun is out there waiting for you.

I totally agree with you Helen but, any rabbit whether they are in a pet shop or rescue are in need of a good home. I felt quite strongly at one point about pet shops selling bunnies - now after lots and lots of thought I actually think better the devil you know, there are thousands of bunnies being 'given' away on freecycle/freeads/pre-loved, at least if people are buying a rabbit from a reputable supplier that is trying at least to improve welfare standards, providing education and veterinary vouchers etc and applying that to their 'suppliers' then in time hopefully things will improve, I don't think anyone should feel pressured into doing anything with regards homing rabbits - as I said before - some could argue the PAH bunnies are in more need than the ones who already have a safe place in a rescue and that the buns on freeads/preloved are the most in need.

It's personal choice at the end of the day but, I think we do have to accept that PAH is not by a long shot the worst case scenario. I hope that as they have a vet as 'head of pets' that the bunnies that they are sourcing to sell are coming from decent breeders, it has to be worth them inspecting these breeders randomly to check standards of competancy, care and cleanliness etc surely? ( I hope so).:wave:

Back