• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental Problem

Saphira

New Kit
Hello everybody :wave:
Simba has had a problem with his teeth for a long time. They grow too much. Our vet said that this is common with rabbits and that we should cut them whenever they grow too much, so that he can eat. We also buy smaller pellets especially for him.
But I wonder if there is something else we can do...

I`m not realy an expert on bunny health. But i`m quite sure that you should not attempt to cut your rabbits teeth your self.:shock: Dentals should only be carried out by a vet.:)
To keep rabbits teeth nice and healthy it will need lots and lots of nice green hay, as much as your rabbit can eat. It should be on offer 24 hours a day. You could also invest in some chew toys. Mine like willow balls and willow sticks. You can also buy wooden chew blocks. I went ot the Range at the weekend and bought lots of chewable toys for my bunny`s, they have lots of thing to choose from.:wave:
Hope simba is ok.:wave:

Hi Saphira, my bunny Toby had exactly the same problem. Sadly I posted on Friday that he passed away at the vets under anasthetic. The vet recomended that I have his front teeth removed as they kept growing and did not meet properly. I had the op done at the same time he was neutered at 6mths. However, they only managed to remove 3 teeth. From then onwards I just returned to the vets every few wks to have the remaining tooth clipped. The vet then suggested to me that they should try the op again as it was in the rabbits best interest. I agreed, and took him in for the op on Friday morning, only to get the call an hr or so later to tell me he didnt survive the anasthetic. I was gobsmacked, as he was a healthy wee guy and had been fine first time round. Im angry at myself as the op wasnt entirly neccesary, as I could have continued to have his tooth clipped and he would still be here. If I was you I would make sure he has plenty of hay and toys etc to chew on and I would NOT have his teeth removed, but get them clipped. I am now terrified of the anasthetic on rabbits - its just not worth it. Sorry for rambling and i hope ur bunny will be ok xx

Hi Saphira, my bunny Toby had exactly the same problem. Sadly I posted on Friday that he passed away at the vets under anasthetic. The vet recomended that I have his front teeth removed as they kept growing and did not meet properly. I had the op done at the same time he was neutered at 6mths. However, they only managed to remove 3 teeth. From then onwards I just returned to the vets every few wks to have the remaining tooth clipped. The vet then suggested to me that they should try the op again as it was in the rabbits best interest. I agreed, and took him in for the op on Friday morning, only to get the call an hr or so later to tell me he didnt survive the anasthetic. I was gobsmacked, as he was a healthy wee guy and had been fine first time round. Im angry at myself as the op wasnt entirly neccesary, as I could have continued to have his tooth clipped and he would still be here. If I was you I would make sure he has plenty of hay and toys etc to chew on and I would NOT have his teeth removed, but get them clipped. I am now terrified of the anasthetic on rabbits - its just not worth it. Sorry for rambling and i hope ur bunny will be ok xx
Thank you for your answer Catherine. I am so sorry for your loss...
I don't want to have Simba's teeth removed neither. This is an amputation.

I`m not realy an expert on bunny health. But i`m quite sure that you should not attempt to cut your rabbits teeth your self.:shock: Dentals should only be carried out by a vet.:)
To keep rabbits teeth nice and healthy it will need lots and lots of nice green hay, as much as your rabbit can eat. It should be on offer 24 hours a day. You could also invest in some chew toys. Mine like willow balls and willow sticks. You can also buy wooden chew blocks. I went ot the Range at the weekend and bought lots of chewable toys for my bunny`s, they have lots of thing to choose from.:wave:
Hope simba is ok.:wave:
Hi pennypoos. Thank you for answering. That's weird... The vet told us that we can do it ourselves. I hold Simba still and dad clips his teeth. Anyway, I will talk to my parents about that...
I will also try the chew toys.

Hi Saphira, your english is fine by the way. :) I'm not sure how advanced your rabbit vets are in Greece but we most certainly wouldn't clip a rabbits teeth at home over here. The far best thing for rabbits teeth is hay hay and lots more hay, does your rabbit eat much hay?

Hi Saphira, your english is fine by the way. :) I'm not sure how advanced your rabbit vets are in Greece but we most certainly wouldn't clip a rabbits teeth at home over here. The far best thing for rabbits teeth is hay hay and lots more hay, does your rabbit eat much hay?
Hello Amy. Sadly they are not very advanced... But since it's my birthday today, mum agreed to drive me and Simba to another good vet I have heard of for a second diagnose. :)
Actually Simba doesn't really like hay... I put his hay it in the hay thing(I don't know how it's called in english) but he doesn't eat much. :?

Hello Amy. Sadly they are not very advanced... But since it's my birthday today, mum agreed to drive me and Simba to another good vet I have heard of for a second diagnose.
Actually Simba doesn't really like hay... I put his hay it in the hay thing(I don't know how it's called in english) but he doesn't eat much.

If you can get him eating more hay that would really help. Its the specific chewing motion that they only use when eating hay/grass that helps wear the teeth down.

Some bunnies don't like hay racks. Do you use a litter tray? Bunnies quite like eating whilst they go to the toilet so he may eat more if you pile some in his tray.

Try mixing grated carrot/apple or fresh herbs into they hay to encourage him to forage.

Thats great you are getting a second opinion.

If you can get him eating more hay that would really help. Its the specific chewing motion that they only use when eating hay/grass that helps wear the teeth down.

Some bunnies don't like hay racks. Do you use a litter tray? Bunnies quite like eating whilst they go to the toilet so he may eat more if you pile some in his tray.

Try mixing grated carrot/apple or fresh herbs into they hay to encourage him to forage.

Thats great you are getting a second opinion.
No, I don't use a litter tray... I mean that I didn't know about such thing for rabbits when I got Elvis and Simba, so now they are too old for litter training I think. But fortunately dad has made some sort a house for each one. I don't think that cages like this
images

are very practical... Anyway, off topic.

Thank you for your advice, I'll try mixing some stuff that he likes with his hay. :) I tried mixing it with fresh grass once,but it didn't work...

Back