• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

penny is loseing weight

pennypoos

Mama Doe
I`v noticed that penny has lost some weight. I can feel her spine and her ribs are beginning to stick out. I usually give penny a small handfull of pellets a day which she usually wolfes down, but now she is barely toutching them, she is also not earing allot of hay. Now when i give her veg she will eat the whole lot aswell as any treats i give her. She is pooing but the droppings are very small and she is weeing fine. I have her booked into the vets at 1.30pm this afternoon. Any ideas what could be wrong ?
Penny is five years old and has never had any problems with her teeth.

I`v noticed that penny has lost some weight. I can feel her spine and her ribs are beginning to stick out. I usually give penny a small handfull of pellets a day which she usually wolfes down, but now she is barely toutching them, she is also not earing allot of hay. Now when i give her veg she will eat the whole lot aswell as any treats i give her. She is pooing but the droppings are very small and she is weeing fine. I have her booked into the vets at 1.30pm this afternoon. Any ideas what could be wrong ?
Penny is five years old and has never had any problems with her teeth.

Possibly teeth? Veg is softer than pellets/hay so maybe she's finding it easier to eat that, with the poops looking small, that would support the idea of teeth being the problem i think?

Experts, correct me if im wrong though. Just my input from things ive read since joining :)

Thats what the vets nurse said when i phoned up for an appointment this morning. But i just though because she is 5, and never suffered with her teeth before that maybe it was something else. The last time she had her teeth checked was in march/april time when she had her myxi jab so it could be.
should i go and try her with some pellets that have been soaked in water to make them softer for her to eat. She is just eating a nice big pile of carrots spring greens and celery. At the minute.:D
Cheers graham
from Mand.

The poops are small because she isn't getting enough fibre as she isn't eating her hay.

I'd agree with Graham that she may have some pain in mouth, maybe teeth related as veg is generally softer but did you say she is eating carrots quite happily?

Another idea is that perhaps she gets too much veg which is why she doesn't eat the other stuff?

A vet check is def a good idea to help rule out any serious problems.

The poops are small because she isn't getting enough fibre as she isn't eating her hay.

I'd agree with Graham that she may have some pain in mouth, maybe teeth related as veg is generally softer but did you say she is eating carrots quite happily?

Another idea is that perhaps she gets too much veg which is why she doesn't eat the other stuff?

A vet check is def a good idea to help rule out any serious problems.

at least i was on the right path :)

Hope Penny gets on okay at the vets.

at least i was on the right path

Small poops can also be a sign that a buns gut is slowing down and they are going into stasis so its always a good idea to know what is a normal size for your bun.

Small poops can also be a sign that a buns gut is slowing down and they are going into stasis so its always a good idea to know what is a normal size for your bun.

Thats why i have my magnifying glass close at hand :wave:

I've read posts by so many people about stasis etc lately, and how poops should be certain size/colour/solidity.

Learning :)

just got back from the vets. The vet couldn`t get a propper look at penny`s teeth because she was wriggling arround too much, so she has been booked in for an anesthetic on friday morning so that they can have a propper look.

Amy104 The poops are small because she isn't getting enough fibre as she isn't eating her hay.

A vet check is def a good idea to help rule out any serious problems

penny quite happily eats carrot, but i don`t think i give her too much veg :).And if i was giving her too much veg then would she not be losing weigh ? She has about half a small carrot, 1 leaf of spring green and a bit of spinich every day. she used to eat that quite happily plus her hay and pellets.
She has lost quite a bit of weight. The last time i had her weighed at the vets she weighd 1.9? kilos and now she only weighs 1.5? kilos. I think thats quite alot of weight of lose.

I`m not sure about sending her in for a GA :? I`m not sure it the right thing to do.
I feel as if my time has been wasted by taking penny to the vets today. It wasn`t the usual rabbit vet that i normally go and see, and i feel as if I`m none the wiser.

The vet did say that her teeth weren`t perfect, and she said she didn`t have any ulcers or sores in her mouth.

It certainly sounding more like she has problems with her teeth. If she has a GA will they do any work required at the same time?

Back