• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help me decide what to do

What should I do?

• Option A

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Option B

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Neither - another idea? Please tell!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
OK so I have two options...

Option A:

No change. Keep the buns as they are with the lops in my bedroom and the lionheads in the study.

Pro1 - no need to build anything new or spend extra money
Pro2 - all buns indoors where the risk of foxes/cats is diminished
Pro3 - lionheads wouldn't possibly become less used to human company
Possible Pro4 - might be better for Nutmeg's breathing - also might apply to B

Option B:

Build a 6x4 shed with 6x6 aviary style run outside for the lionheads and have the lops in the study at night and free-ranging in study/landing/bedroom during the day.

Pro1 - much more space for both pairs
Pro2 - no bunnies in my bedroom at night to disrupt my breathing
Pro3 - Smudge would loose the bald patch on his neck where his mane has moulted out
Pro4 - my messiest buns would be outside so wouldn't feel I have to sweep every five minutes (ok so that's an exaggeration but you see what I mean)
Possible Pro5 - might be better for Nutmeg's breathing

If I get a shed an easy way round the fox issue would be to shut them in the shed at night and for the human company issue to still spend regular slots of time with them. As for money I can save up. Nutmeg I need to ask vet about.

Last edited:
I'd say option B! You need to think of YOUR health too. When we got Zeke to be an outside bunny, he has come on leaps and bounds. He is SO much happier now. Plus it sounds like each pair would have lots more space. Just make sure you can give the outside buns heat pads and lots of cosies in the winter xxxxxxxxxxxx

I'd probably go with option B. I've lived with rabbits in my room (without me having health issues) and I slept terribly for months! They'll be fine outside!

I'd go option A as well. I just can't put my animals outdoors - too many risks, and I would constantly worry. Plus I feel they are much more a part of the family indoors. Doesn't help my asthma though (especially with 5 guinea pigs, 2 buns and a bale of hay in my room). Ideally, I would have a second room for all the animals to go into but I dont have the space here, so I cope until we can move.

I've always said I don't like the idea of them outside but this would mean they would have at least double the space. Where i plan on putting is quite sheltered and one side would be up against the fence, another against a very large bush/tree and another would be inside the aviary.

I don't know what to dooooooooooooooo. :lol: I'll have to save up and see what next year brings. It's too late this year.

I'd say option B! You need to think of YOUR health too. When we got Zeke to be an outside bunny, he has come on leaps and bounds. He is SO much happier now. Plus it sounds like each pair would have lots more space. Just make sure you can give the outside buns heat pads and lots of cosies in the winter xxxxxxxxxxxx

^^^^^totally agree with this, sooner rather than later for the outdoorsies so they aclimatise in plenty of time.:wave:

B for me
The space is a crucial thing imo because buns really love to run around. and you do need to consider your needs too, which B seems to meet better.

You might just have to make more of an effort to keep your strong bond with the lionheads.

^^^^^totally agree with this, sooner rather than later for the outdoorsies so they aclimatise in plenty of time.:wave:

It'll be next year now. I can't get everything done in time for this year and I have no money right now! I'm going to try to give both pairs regular time on the landing for a bit of extra space.

B for me
The space is a crucial thing imo because buns really love to run around. and you do need to consider your needs too, which B seems to meet better.

You might just have to make more of an effort to keep your strong bond with the lionheads.

Is it bad that I like the idea of escaping outside for alone time with my babies? :lol:

OK less than a week into separate rooms and I think they are going to have to go outside. If I smell just lightly like the lops Nutmeg gets very territorial. Plus she is very untidy litter wise. No joke, I swept about 20 mins ago and already there are about 20 poops on the floor and we've had a couple of wees. :roll: I really believe they will be happier outside without the smell of the other two. I'll just have ot make sure I don't go out there in my pyjamas and get changed first. :oops:

Back